🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evelyn H

I have 4 dogs: 7 mo old, 6lb Morkie, 3 yr old 5 lb Maltese, 5 year old 10 lb Biewer terrier & 5 yr old 18 lb Havanese/Belgian Mallinois mix. Variety of sizes & ages and all but the Biewer had terrible itching, scratching and eating their feet (literally), plus lots of pink. We spent the last two months transitioning all from Science Diet Adult Fitness Small Bites (or puppy, in one case) to Halo food. Havanese/Belgian Mallinois had worst allergies, so he is now on Halo Vegan & definitely improving. The other 3 have been on Halo Turkey & Duck for 2 months and we are seeing improvement in them, too. The maltie has lost all her pink tinges already. Although expensive, we are overall pleased with the change of food and the dogs certainly love the taste of it! However, their stools have changed dramatically in both size and amount. For instance, the maltie used to have pinky finger sized poo 2-3 times per day. She now has poo as big around as a quarter and 5 inches long, 4-5 times per day. The others have changed accordingly to their size, as well. I’ve never seen so much poop in one day! Is anyone else out there experiencing this? Is this normal? Is it unhealthy? Who has an opinion? My vet has no concerns, as all babies are healthy, but I just wonder what other users think.

#118922 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

The amount and “quality” of poop is individual to the dog. One of mine needs a low fiber food. BTW, vegan foods are not recommended. Do some research.

#118927 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Try Zignature Zssentials. #1 for allergy prone dogs. Forget the transition, just do the switch. You want to stop the reactions completely, not just lessen them, extremely torturous for dogs. Let them eat & poo however they want as long as it’s a moist but formed poo. Top it with finely chopped boiled broccoli for extra fiber.

#119000 Report Abuse
    Evelyn H

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my question, or in my experience in feeding animals. I am old enough to remember two choices of dog food at the store…Purina canned and Purina in a bag. I’ve owned everything from pasture mutts to show dogs. I’ve been feeding animals over the past 80+ decades and have learned a great deal about it over the years, but today’s selection of pet foot products can be overwhelming. I was simply trying to see if anyone else has had the same experience with HALO food specifically. I do appreciate the tip about Zignature Zssentials… It was one of 5 foods the vet and I narrowed it down to…it’s just not readily available in my area & I’m so old I’m used to buying dog food at the store, not picking it up at the mailbox. Hence, the introduction to HALO, also in our top 5, and available at my local PetSmart. I still believe in food transitions for numerous gastrointestinal reasons, but respect the “get it over with” approach. 🙂 Also did not know about broccoli addition, will definitely look into that further. HALO users….where are you? I welcome your responses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.