šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alexia M

Hi everyone!
    My 5 year old Akita/Pit mix went from 91 lbs to 76 lbs in 10 months by increasing exercise, switching to Wellness Core Reduced Fat, and counting her daily caloric intake. She is now at her ideal weight and I was wondering if I should switch her to kibble that is no longer low fat. I asked my vet, but he said he recommends she stay on a low fat kibble. The reason I want to switch her back to regular kibble is because though she has lost weight, her energy level is pretty low. I know that fats are an energy source so I thought that might help. Also, about 24 hours ago she started chattering her teeth periodically. I have a vet dentist appointment on Monday, but was wondering if it could be from a nutrient deficiency. I currently supplement her feed with fish oil and Cosequin DS plus MSM daily. Do you think switching her back to a “normal” fat kibble will benefit her overall health? Thank you for your help!

#38560 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I wouldnt give a low fat kibble, Ive read that you just reduce the amount of food that ur giving them not cut down on their fat, especially if she is excercising & walking daily, if a normal fat kibble read for her weight to give say 4 cups a day, then u’d cut out about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup from her daily feed & see how her weight goes does she stay the same weight or gains or loses weight..If I cut out 1/4 a cup a day, I notice within 1-2 weeks my boy starts losing weight…when my boy was chattering his teeth he was cold..

#38563 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I will definitely agree about going back to a normal kibble. Continuing daily exercise is a must as well. Possibly try giving a little less of regular kibble, stay on the same daily exercise routine, and if her weight changes, adjust the food accordingly.

#38564 Report Abuse
    Alexia M

Thank you for your replies! I will start transitioning her back to normal kibble tomorrow. I think I need to get a new vet too! The problem with the teeth chattering is that I live in Southern California and it has been in the 90s all week so I know it’s not from her being cold. Are there any specific kibbles you recommend or would Wellness Core be fine?

#38569 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

WC is a great kibble, definitely. I know most people on here lean towards premixes, dehydrated foods, and home made diets the most though. (The honest kitchen and See Spot Live Longer are two of the most popular I think)

I honestly am clueless on the teeth chattering. I know some dogs, usually males, do it when they smell something “good”… (Like a girly doggie….), but I’m not sure on other reasons for it. I’m curious to see what others think.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.