šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lollypop
    Participant

Hi

Can someone recommend a alternate for Hills Z/D my vet recomended it for my Golden pup after trying several alternates (orejon/natural balance different variities/legacy fish) for constant loose stools, and many stools in a day (like 5 or more). I know Hills is a poor food and am concerned, but it is the only food that has worked.

Please Help

Thanks to All who respond

#17771 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi lollypup –

Since it appears your dog’s issues are food related, I would talk to your vet about performing an elimination diet. An elimination diet is the only way to determine, with certainty, which ingredient or ingredients are causing your pup’s issues.

#17775 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

And regardless of what you decide to feed, you may want to put your dog on a digestive supplement for a while, one with enzymes and probiotics, to help give her system time to recover and rest.

#17789 Report Abuse
    mydogisme
    Participant

Lullypup, Science Diet as you know is sold at a lot of vets offices because they get payed to sell it and S.D. donates money to vet schools(I have been told) and all you need to do is read the label. I too had a vet for my baby who thought there was nothing better but when I took her to an internist, he said ‘food is what nourishes us and what kind of food we feed our children, pets or ourselves, will determine how well they or we will be. I know you are at the right place to find help. Royal Canin has prescription food, you will need a scrip. to buy it unless you can find a store like a feed store will some times carry it because they have a large cliental who buy pet food from them. I found only 1 near me and it was an hour away. So, maybe besides what you are told here, maybe you might want to go to another vet if yours isn’t willing to offer another brand. I hope your fur baby gets well.

#17855 Report Abuse
    lollypop
    Participant

Hi Thank you for your sugesstion, I agree and am aware that Hills is not a good food, my vet is also aware that it is of poor quality, she was placed on it as a last resort trail and it is working. I will look into royal canin.

Again Thank you for your suggestion, it is greatly appreciated.

#17863 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi lollypup –

Royal Canin isn’t any better than Science Diet – it’s just another low quality, overpriced food owned by a large company (Mars). If your dog is having this severe of issues and you want a better quality food for her you really should find a vet who can help formulate a homemade elimination diet. If you insist on stick with a prescription food I’d recommend at least checking out Rayne Nutrition – they’re the only company I know of that makes quality prescription foods.

#192471 Report Abuse
    Cathy D
    Participant

Are there any updates on Hills ZD replacement food. We are stuck on this one. This is the only food she will/can eat and not have tummy issues.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.