Looking for a food with specific ingredients

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Looking for a food with specific ingredients

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Evan O

Hi, I’m looking for a dry dog food, grain-free, rice-free, yeast-free and with 5%+ fiber, I was hoping anyone would have a recommendation for me, I’m currently going through the list of 5 star foods trying to find one that fits this criteria. I believe my chihuahua is allergic to yeast, but I’m not 100% sure. I liked the ingredients of the Dr Harvey Oracle food, but its like $100 a bag, I was also hoping for like a 20-30 price for a ~5lb bag. Thanks for any advice!

#35747 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Look at Grandma Lucy’s and The Honest Kitchen, maybe even Sojo’s.

#35759 Report Abuse
    Evan O

Thanks for the advice, what do you think of Dr. Tim’s? It contains rice but he claims they test it for arsenic.

#35762 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Acana Regionals
    Simply Nourish Source
    Blue Buffalo Wilderness

Acana is great if you wanna spring for it, the other two are available at PetSmart and well priced for 5 stars

#35763 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Dr Tim’s is a quality product. You can add some fiber at feeding time so that might give you more food choices. I give ground psyllium but I’ve also noticed that when I top my dogs kibble with a dehydrated food (rehydrated) it also bulks up their stool.

#35765 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

that’s a good point sandy made-there are a lot of foods out there that meet your criteria except the fiber options. But there are plenty of ways to supplement that that are easy and affordable

#35771 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can even add something with some fatty acids in it like flaxseed or hemp seed and chia for added fiber.

#35778 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dr Tims has a Kinesis grainfree with no grains. If you have questions, dr Tim himself is readily available via phone, Facebook & email.

#35782 Report Abuse
    Evan O

I don’t know that the fiber is mandatory necessarily, but I did notice she seemed to have better poops on this latest food which is around 7% according to this site, whereas she’s had food in the past that were closer to 3.5% and her poops didn’t seems healthy. Maybe 5% is good enough tho, which Dr. Tim’s has.

#41953 Report Abuse
    Joanne H

How about a dry food with no grain or peas? I just learned that my lab is allergic to peas. I have been stumped for years and had switched her to Wellness Grain Free. That and most others have peas as a top 5 ingredient.

#41954 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I believe that Nature’s Logic and Nature’s Variety don’t have peas. Mine don’t do well with peas either, but they do OK with Victor grain free as the sweet potatoes are the main binder and the peas are a little further down the list. When they are the main carb, their “output” is green. Yuck! Unfortunately, peas are getting to be a very popular ingredient. Good luck!

#41955 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Freshpet, or other fresh/raw are going to be the best bet.

Orijen has peas very far down
    Nature’s Logic has no peas
    If you don’t mind Natural Balance some of their LID has no peas

#44087 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Thanks for sharing information.. but instead of rice.. what specific ingredients we used for making t he dog food.

#44404 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Orijen Adult (Dry)
    Brothers Complete Advanced Allergy Care (Dry)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.