List of Controversial Ingredients

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients List of Controversial Ingredients

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Colter C
    Participant

Hi Dog Food Advisor,

Is there a comprehensive list of the flagged controversial ingredients in consumable dog products?
    It would be helpful for me to be able to assess other products that aren’t already reviewed on the website like dental treats.

I already found and appreciate the guide on how Dog Food Advisor assesses the different foods. Still, a list of those ingredients would help streamline my own assessments.
    /frequently-asked-questions/about-our-best-dog-foods/
    /frequently-asked-questions/rate-dog-food/
    /dog-food-industry-exposed/ingredient-splitting/

Thank you!

#185809 Report Abuse
    Ana W
    Participant

There are several ingredients that are commonly flagged as controversial or potentially harmful in dog food. Some of these include:

By-products: This can include animal parts such as feet, beaks, and organs that are not typically consumed by humans.

Meat and bone meal: This is a rendered product that can contain animal parts from any species, including roadkill and euthanized animals.

Artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors: These can be harmful to dogs and may be linked to health problems such as cancer.

Propylene glycol: A chemical used to keep semi-moist foods moist, which is banned in cat food by the FDA but is allowed in dog food.

Grains such as corn, wheat, and soy: These can be difficult for dogs to digest and can cause allergic reactions in some dogs.

Carrageenan: A thickener and emulsifier derived from red seaweed, it can cause gastrointestinal inflammation and other health issues.

BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin: These are synthetic antioxidants used to preserve the fat in pet foods, they have been linked to cancer and other health issues.

It’s also important to note that some ingredients may be used in small amounts and not be harmful, but when used in high amounts, they can cause health issues.

It’s always a good idea to read the ingredient list carefully and to look for a product that uses high-quality, whole ingredients. It’s also a good idea to check for certifications such as AAFCO, USDA or FDA certifications, which indicate that the product meets certain standards for nutrition.

I hope this information is helpful for you in making informed decisions about the food and treats you provide for your dog.

#185976 Report Abuse
    s R
    Participant

When the FDA issued it first alert on the nutritional form of DCM, I went looking for folks who are fact-oriented. Why? Because I’m trained in science. And because ‘grain-free’ sounded fad-ish to me. Also because Purina and its ingredients couldn’t possibly be as bad as many were saying. If corn is so bad (just a ‘filler’)… how come they’re not out picketing the parents (gasp) who allow their kids to eat fresh corn on the cob in the summer?! Not convinced? Well, here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.