🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/linking-diet-to-dilated-cardiomyopathy-dcm/ (excerpt from article below)
    Your Pet’s Diet
    Cooperation between veterinary cardiologists, nutritionists, and the USFDA has confirmed that the increase in canine and feline DCM is linked to grain-free diets. The dogs and cats affected are often being fed boutique diets that contain exotic meats and are grain-free. On the ingredient list, the first 5 items listed are often non-traditional proteins (anything other than chicken or beef), potatoes or sweet potatoes, and legumes such as lentils or peas. Over twenty food brands have been identified, including home-cooked meals. While a small number of patients may require grain-free diets for management of chronic illness, most dogs and cats are being fed these diets as the result of heavy marketing and the misconception that grains cause illness.
    While the link between DCM and grain-free diets has been confirmed, the exact cause is still under investigation. These diets may be deficient in an amino acid called taurine, or the components of the diet may not allow for appropriate taurine metabolism. This is of concern, as taurine is necessary not only for cardiac health, but also normal eye and brain function. Taurine levels in many patients are very low; however, only some patients improve with taurine supplementation. Other theories include a thus far unidentified toxin or lack of other essential nutrients.

#141289 Report Abuse
    anonymous

The latest. https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/cvm-updates/fda-provides-third-status-report-investigation-potential-connection-between-certain-diets-and-cases?utm_campaign=6-27-2019%20DCM%20Update&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua
    excerpts below, out of context

To date, the FDA has not established why certain diets may be associated with the development of DCM in some dogs. In the meantime, and before making diet changes, pet owners should work directly with their veterinarians, who may consult with a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, to determine the most appropriate diet for their pet’s specific needs.

FDA examined product labels of products reported in DCM cases to determine whether the products were grain-free (did not contain corn, soy, wheat, rice, barley or other grains), and whether the products contained peas, other lentils including chickpeas and beans, or potatoes (including sweet potatoes). More than 90 percent of products were “grain-free,” and 93 percent of reported products contained peas and/or lentils. A far smaller proportion contained potatoes.

#141705 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I just want to say, that I appreciate what the FDA goes through to help our animals. That is a lot of work that they are doing to help us, and a whole lot of research. I give them a thumbs up. I heard that some of the companies are calling it slander, but they can say what they want to protect their sales, but the truth is something is not right with their food. And I hope the FDA can reveal more info, which I know they will do.
    And of course the companies are going to try to protect themselves b/c they are worried about losing MONEY. Money is the name of the game.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by joanne l.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.