Let's talk canned food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Let's talk canned food

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

My Gemma is my toothless senior sheltie. A few months ago, she started with was three bouts of giardia. Ended up on meds & I chose to put her on canned Rx food. Three different times, I tried to add back a couple spoonfuls of her old food: Canidae Pure Sea. It didn’t go well, lots of diarrhea.
    I tried her on ground raw, again (we tried when we first adopted her) but it’s not going well. I can’t get hood stools from her. They’re either hard & she has trouble expelling it or its diarrhea. My raw guru who helps me agrees that raw just isn’t for her. So, I just ordered two small bags of Farmina small bites but I want to add some canned to it. With no teeth & a tongue that goes in all directions while eating, I’m not sure she’ll be able to pick up Kibbles without canned.
    I’m looking for high quality pate, smushy types of canned. They don’t have to be complete diets because they’re just add in’s. Canned isn’t cheap so I’d rather not buy an assortment to try.

Please tell me what you’ve used for smushy types of canned and thanks.

#56134 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The texture of Whole Earth Farms is good and they also don’t cost an arm and a leg. And the 4Health canned is a good texture too.

#56140 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Inkedmarie,
    These are the brands & recipes of each (pate’ styles) that I have fed that might be the consistency you are looking for:
    Earth’s Pride (BJ’s)
    Triumph – all recipes
    California Chicken & Rice
    Canidae Life Stages Chic & Rice
    Eagle Pack – all recipes
    EVO Turkey & Chicken
    Holistic Select GF – all recipes
    Innova – puppy & large breed
    Wellness: Core GF & 95%
    Nutro Natural Choice canned: LBP, LBA, LBA Weight Management & LBA Sr.
    Precise Naturals: Lamb & Rice Sensicare & Chic & Rice Foundation

#56142 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The Pure Balance chic or lamb dinners in the tubs are also soft pate’s. I bought them once when they first came out to see if Bobby liked them. I need a canned that has a larger quantity in the container so they are not in my rotation; Bobby did enjoy them.

#56149 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

The two pates I like the best are Fromm Gold, and Simply Nourish Source.

#56164 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thank you! I’m anxious for the Farmina to arrive; lotsa diarrhea, again. I appreciate the suggestions, will make a list!

#56200 Report Abuse
    Crystal J

I currently feed ziwipeak canned food and my boys love it.

Other pate styles I have also fed and would feed again are:
    Wellness Core and 95%
    Weruva kobe and kurobuta

#56201 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Marie, I’m so sorry you’re still having problems with Gemma. I was going to email you the other day & ask how she was doing, but I got distracted by something (as usual). I swear I have ADD when I’m online, lol!

I know you probably have tried it, but I’ll mention it anyways, but, have you tried canned pumpkin or that perfect form stuff for Gemma? I may have missed where you said if you’d tried them or not…

#56202 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The last info I had on Weruva’s kobe and kurobuta lines was that they were canned by Evanger’s.

#56205 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cyndi,
    I have Gem on a probiotic, that’s it. Not pumpkin. Tbh, I’d like to have her have normal stool without it. She ate kibble her whole life, crap kibble too, til we adopted her not even two years ago. I’m hoping she can scoop it up somehow, with some canned. She never seems to know what to do with her tongue.

#56206 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

BobbyDog,
    You know, I think you’re right. If you are, that stinks. Evangers won’t get a dime from me.

#56207 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Maybe someone else will stop by with an update if there is one. I feed the other lines of Weruva, but Kobe and Kurobuta are on my “avoid” list of canned at this time. 😉

#56208 Report Abuse
    Crystal J

Oh no! I guess kobe and kurobuta is of my list now. Have they always been cans through evangers?

#56210 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I believe so, not positive.

#56211 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

At least as long as we have been talking about Evangers rep and which foods to avoid because Evangers can them, so at least 2 1/2-3 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.