šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    poodlemom
    Participant

My standard poodle puppy is having intestinal problems. I have tried Wellness Large Breed Puppy and Acana Chicken & Burbank potato. Is Merrick Grain free dry Duck and Sweet potato for all life stages safe for a large breed (will be 65 lbs.) poodle puppy (5 months old and 45 lbs.)? I would appreciate your help. I am also considering Orijen for Large Breed Puppy (many say this one is very rich and causes diarrhea. I am also concerned about bloat. Hope you can help!!

#21783 Report Abuse
    poodlemom
    Participant

I also forgot to mention Wellness Simple Line Dry Food (Turkey & Potato) is also one I am considering, along with Orijen, Merrick Duck & Sweet Potato.

#21787 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What kinds of problems are you having? Regardless of what you decide to feed, I think your dog would benefit greatly from the addition of digestive enzymes and probiotics at least until 2 weeks after the last signs of any problems. You should probably add pure pumpkin for a while too.

#21805 Report Abuse
    poodlemom
    Participant

Our poodle is on digestive enzymes and metroniazdole. He is still having diarrhea. Does a standard poodle need to be on Large Breed Puppy Food?

#21881 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They are right on the border sizewise, so to be safe I would treat them like a large breed, so you should read the thread on large and giant breed puppy nutrition, because some companies REALLY screwed up their LBP food and it shouldn’t be used. That thread has a great list of appropriate foods.

#21885 Report Abuse
    poodlemom
    Participant

I am so appreciative that you are taking the time to help. I am going to go and check out the LBP foods now.

#21891 Report Abuse
    LindaW

Stupid question from me, but I’m a senior–hey, what can I say? To find the large breed puppy thread, do I look under “forums”? I couldn’t find it there.

#21892 Report Abuse
    poodlemom
    Participant

Go to the top of this page and there are categories listed in red. Either press HOME or REVIEWS and type Large Breed Puppy in the search engine.

#21894 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

/forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

Here’s a link.

BTW it’s a good idea to print up the list and take it with you to your local stores.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by theBCnut.
    #21925 Report Abuse
    MarkWiz69
    Participant

Can I feed my 5 month old Rottweiler Puppy (60lbs) a RAW large (6 inch long / 2″ diameter) Beef Bone?

#21926 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If he is the kind of dog that is going to bite it as if he is trying to take chunks off then he could crack teeth on a bone like that. If he is the kind that can lie down with it and calmly gnaw at an edge, then as long as you supervise his chewing time, he may be fine with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.