šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    goldenmamaX2

Hello,
    I’m new here and would like to get suggestions for food for my 2 goldens. They are 8 months old and have had them since they were 8 weeks. The breeder had them on Nutro large breed puppy and at 6 months I switched them to Nutro large breed adult. They are about 73lbs each, (which is what the parents were 70-80lbs). I’d like to get them off of large breed dog food and switch them to a grain free dog food. My only 2 criteria for that is I must be able to get it from petsmart and it cant cost more than $50/ 35lb.bag. So, I’m looking for an affordable decent dog food. We are currently going through about 8 cups a day which is about a bag of food every 2 weeks. I have been considering bil-jack and blue buffalo which are about $55/bag. Thanks for you suggestions!

#32414 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t have any suggestions for you other than I wouldn’t feed Bil-Jac and read the BB reviews. A lot of people have been having issues with vomitting and diarrhea lately in their dogs on BB, even dogs that have been on it for a while.

I am boosting this to the top where more will see it.

#32422 Report Abuse
    joet

nothing personal but there are many informed pet owners on this site which i cant comprehend——-chester and teddybear——-
    chester had 10 years—-he died naturally
    TEDDYBEAR–MY BABY–7 YEARS OLD NOW–WILL POST PBOTO—
    there are only a Few foods you should feed your dog—–
    1–5-star if you can afford it
    2-4-star–
    3–nothing less than 4-star –use this site—-
    4–blue buffalo—-CHEESTER AND TEDDY-BOTH—-
    5–ALL FOODS CREATE GAS—
    6–BLUES REP IS THE BEST OUT THERE–CHECK IT–
    7-TEDDY GETS THEIR 5 STAR RATED BLUE–FROM THIS SITE—–
    8–NO DIRREAR–ABSOLUTLY NO VOMMITING—
    9-I AM NOT A REP FROM ANOTHER COMPANY LYING TO YOU—I AM TEDDYS OWNER AND HIS DAD—-
    10–ID KILL FOR TEDDY IF I HAD TO—-
    11-I KNOW BLUE IS THE BEST TO GIVE HIM DUE TO THEIR REP WHICH IS OUTSTANDING–AS OPPOSED TO ALL OTHER TOP SHELF BRANDS—-
    12—-SO TAKE THIS FOR WHAT ITS WORTH——
    JOE T AND TEDDYBEAR.

#32423 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nutrisource runs about $49 for their large bag. There is also the new Whole Earth Farms grain free which is rolling out to Petco or Petsmart for $40.

#32445 Report Abuse
    A.Sandy

Try something all life stages, that way you don’t have to be finding diffrent large breed foods. I agree with pugmomsandy try whole earth farms they are made by merrick which i highly recommend, or i always say try a feed store always cheaper! because at petco,petsmart it does not get cheaper,forget blue buffalo they’ll take an arm and a leg. check out the review section and research prices. Oh and Joet you need help!

-Ana Expert/pet nutrition advisor
    @pupfacts
    pupcatnutrition.com

#32450 Report Abuse
    goldenmamaX2

thank you all for your idea’s and recommendations! much appreciated!

#32465 Report Abuse
    joet

TO—
    -Ana Expert/pet nutrition advisor
    @pupfacts
    pupcatnutrition.com–

maybe you think i need help cause i said id kill for teddy–

OTHER THAN THAT–
    WHAT I WROTE—– IS PURE FACT—

AND IF YOU DONT THINK SO—YOU NEED THE HELP–
    YOUR MERRICK IDEA IS GOOD–MERRICK IS A 5 STAR FOOD LITTLE OR NO RECALLS AS BLUE IS—–

PEOPLE–READ CAREFULLY PLEASE;

WHEN FEEDING AND FINDING A FOOD FOR YOUR PET–DOG–
    YOU 1ST CHECK THE RATING-MUST BE NO LESS THAN 3 STARS OR YOUR KILLING YOUR DOG.
    3 STAR IS CHEAP-$1.49 APROX-WET–4 SRAR–OVER $2-WET–5 STAR-$2.50 TO 3 PLUS AT SOME PLACES—-PETCO IS MOST EXPENSIVE DONT GO THERE.
    2ND–GO TO RECALL SITES—
    3RD–IF THERE ON THAT LIST FOR THEIR WET OR DRY DOG FOODS,AND DEPENDING ON HOW MANY TIMES AND WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO DOGS ON THIS FOOD OR MANUFACTURES FOOD–

THEN–YOU MAKE YOUR DECISION—
    AND FOR YOUR PEST SAKE–
    ***IT BETTER BE THE RITE ONE**

DOES THAT SOUND LOGICAL TO YOU EXPERT!

#32494 Report Abuse
    A.Sandy

I already knew that! I studied this field and have worked with dogs for more than a decade so.. yeah.

#32508 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

NutriSource GF is about the only GF food I’ve seen the results of. Two dogs that I take care of occasionally have that brand. (They get the chicken and the lamb formulas) They’re 12 and 13yrs old, and doing incredible! (It makes me chuckle still…mixed breeds really do seem to be healthier than the purebreds. The 12y.o. Is a purebred ex-champ smooth collie, and she is most definitely acting her age. The 13y.o. Is lab/border collie and she acts no older than 8, she’s a spaz!)

Anyway, that’s about all I know of GF – I tried Paramount GF one time (reviews for the brand aren’t on this site yet…I honestly know very little about that company. I bought the food at a liquidation store once), and surprisingly the dogs did well on it. A friend looked over the ingredients and pointed out some “no-no’s” in it (I can’t remember what). It was about a dollar a pound, but like I say – it was at a liquidation store (I bought a 15lb bag of Wenaewe food there once for $15. I looked at the company’s website later, and found the same food for $45. Boy I got a steal!)

Everyone else has given good suggestions though… I don’t always think grain free is nessicarily better (unless, of course, the dogs have intolerances), because GF foods can trick you easily by using equally cheap fillers from potatoes, peas, and others. Many grains are much better for a dog than the potato amounts in GF foods.

Anyway, I hope you can find something that works for your wallet as well as the tummies, fur, skin, glossy eyes, and wiggly bottoms of your sweet doggies! =D

#32509 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I concure A.Sandy for sure! The more you can look around and compare prices, the better chance you have at being successful with your dogs’ nutrition! I would go to feed stores, Walmart, and Fred Meyers (basically the same as Walmart, just a bit more of “premium” products for everything)…no PetCo/petsmart around here. I would just sit and read ingredient labels and price take. Then I’d make a mental note of brands that really stuck out to me (ones that had the perfect balance of price and ingredients), then I’d go home and research the brands out. I ended up w a 3 star food that we only had to spend about $20/month on (we had 3 dogs at time…they weighed between 45 and 90lb. Now the 90lb guy passed tragically, so we ended up w a 40lb rescue with newly discovered severe social/anxiety problems. Woot woot…no agility for him. UGH!)

#32742 Report Abuse
    Bracha

Hello,
    I am new to this site (it was recommended by our pet shop owner). We live in Australia and thus spend a bit of time outdoors; bush and beach – lucky us. I have a very healthy German Shepard (as endorsed by my vet and every man that sees her walking the street – she has a large fan club, small town). She is de-sexed, large frame, straight back, 41Kg, 4 year 6 mnth. She has been with me since a puppy, 9 weeks. I initially fed her two different brands, but from about 2 months old she has been fed Dry Holistic Large Breed puppy than transitioned over to Holistic adult large breed. She thrives on it. Currently we are trying the Holistic Grain free large breed food and so far (2 weeks) all is well; her stools are a great shape, smell good and regular. Personally this is the only way to tell if your dog is responding to their feed in a positive way, check the pool daily!
    I appreciate everyone has a budget, but am in total agreement with other members 4+ stars is the way to go.
    I am currently researching the Raw diet option and will consider this diet. But the dry food is convenient. It is supplemented with 100 grams, human grade beef mince. I would be interested to hear members view on this combination of beef with dry turkey based feed; do they think it is self defeating? Enjoy reading the comments from like minded dedicated dog owners. Thanks

#32752 Report Abuse

Any addition of fresh foods is beneficial as long as you don’t go over 20% which will unbalance the kibble.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.