šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jesswiftca
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a lamb based senior dog food?

#29271 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Generally speaking, we don’t recommend senior foods. Many of them are based on bad science. Seniors can have difficulty in utilizing the protein in their food and actually may require as much as 50% more protein than a younger dog, yet most senior foods decrease protein. They also don’t have a therapeutic dose of joint supplements in them, but they advertise as if they do, which keeps owners from giving their dog what it needs in that department. Senior foods are a marketing gimmick, not a need.

#29275 Report Abuse
    jesswiftca
    Participant

You know, I hadn’t even considered changing foods until the vet (not the one we usually see) encouraged me to put him on a senior diet this week. My dog is an eleven year old lab and he’s in excellent health (besides his deteriorating vision.) It seems so silly to me to go messing with his diet now anyway. I think I’ll give our usual vet a call. Thank you!

#29278 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Beside feeding my senior an all-life-stage food(s), I give him Actiflex 4000, fish oil, Jarrow True CMO (cetyl-myristoleate) and liver/kidney support, probiotics and some Springtime Longevity or Fresh Factors.

Anyhow, I like using Nutrisource grain free Lamb Meal and Nature’s Logic Lamb Dinner and Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance Lamb or Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Lamb, Canidae Pure Elements or Canidae Pure Land.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #29293 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I agree with what PugMom said, Patty too. IMO, most senior foods are too low in protein.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.