Lab with probable allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Lab with probable allergies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cathy B

My 18 mo old Lab was diagnosed with probable allergies when I took him in for an ear infection. Vet said they won’t test til he is 2 for cause. Will consult with vet during follow up but do I just let him go through this for 6 more months before even starting to help him? Symptoms are not severe but still.

#106859 Report Abuse
    anonymous

No, you don’t have to wait. You can make an appointment with a board certified veterinary dermatologist, today. It may take up to 3 months to get an appointment anyway.
    Please read my posts /forums/search/environmental+allergies/
    PS: Beware of miracle homeopathic cures and such. And, don’t trust Dr Google.

#106899 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Cathy,
    what is he eating?? I’d start with a diet change, when my boy eats carrots & tapioca he gets itchy yeasty ears & shakes his head/ears, change what your feeding him to a limited ingredient single novel meat protein diet something totally different to what he’s eating at the moment, feed a meat protein he hasn’t eaten before & see how he does…
    What are you testing for? food allergy testing isnt 100% & can give false positives…
    There’s a really good Face Book group called, “Dog issues, allergies & other information support group” a Dermatologist Dr Karen helton Rhodes frequents the group & has her own f/b page called “Canine Skin Solutions” & helps out…

#106921 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

He is on Taste of The Wild. Am changing him to a Wellness LID. His symptoms aren’t sever but want him as healthy as he can be. Will check out the posts you mentioned thanks for the info.

#106922 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If you are not going to try prescription food, the only way to really do an elimination diet.

Then, I would consider Zignature or Nutrisca.

I have found that avoiding all potato helps, in conjunction with other treatment prescribed by a veterinarian that has examined the dog.

The first step is to get an accurate diagnosis, if the symptoms continue or become severe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.