My 18 mo old Lab was diagnosed with probable allergies when I took him in for an ear infection. Vet said they won’t test til he is 2 for cause. Will consult with vet during follow up but do I just let him go through this for 6 more months before even starting to help him? Symptoms are not severe but still.
No, you don’t have to wait. You can make an appointment with a board certified veterinary dermatologist, today. It may take up to 3 months to get an appointment anyway.
Please read my posts https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/search/environmental+allergies/
PS: Beware of miracle homeopathic cures and such. And, don’t trust Dr Google.
what is he eating?? I’d start with a diet change, when my boy eats carrots & tapioca he gets itchy yeasty ears & shakes his head/ears, change what your feeding him to a limited ingredient single novel meat protein diet something totally different to what he’s eating at the moment, feed a meat protein he hasn’t eaten before & see how he does…
What are you testing for? food allergy testing isnt 100% & can give false positives…
There’s a really good Face Book group called, “Dog issues, allergies & other information support group” a Dermatologist Dr Karen helton Rhodes frequents the group & has her own f/b page called “Canine Skin Solutions” & helps out…
He is on Taste of The Wild. Am changing him to a Wellness LID. His symptoms aren’t sever but want him as healthy as he can be. Will check out the posts you mentioned thanks for the info.
If you are not going to try prescription food, the only way to really do an elimination diet.
Then, I would consider Zignature or Nutrisca.
I have found that avoiding all potato helps, in conjunction with other treatment prescribed by a veterinarian that has examined the dog.
The first step is to get an accurate diagnosis, if the symptoms continue or become severe.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.