🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lovemylab
    Participant

I have a 4 month old lab who when I brought home the breeder recommended pro plan for large puppy. Knowing that pro plan isn’t good quality I’m looking for dry kibble. Is it better to feed my large breed pup a grain free kibble? Its hard to find grain free kibble for large breed puppy.
    Thanks

#13809 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi lovemylab –

I think high protein grain-free foods are best for all dogs. There’s a whole topic area here dedicated to large and giant breed puppy nutrition:

/forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

You don’t need to feed a “large breed” specific puppy food. You need to look for a food with appropriate calcium levels that is approved for “growth” or “all life stages.” Here is a list of 4 and 5 star grain-free foods appropriate for large breed puppies:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFQXNYZW01VzRVV00/edit?usp=sharing

#13814 Report Abuse
    lovemylab
    Participant

Thanks! I tried feeding him BB large breed puppy gave him very loose stools. Just started trying Nutro ultra large breed puppy. Thanks for the list!

#13823 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

You’ll notice Nutro is not on HDM’s list (which is awesome, btw). There’s a good reason for that.

#13829 Report Abuse
    lovemylab
    Participant

Thinking about trying wellness core. Just noticed today that he has 3 small dry patches. 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.