Lab and Basenji Mix w/ Blue Buffalo Issues

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Lab and Basenji Mix w/ Blue Buffalo Issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    blizhagan

We are seeking help! Our dogs have progressively been having worse and worse stomach issues.

We adopted our 1.5 year old Chocolate Lab in October 13 and we also have a 25 pound 3.5 year old Basenji Mix. We wanted to put the dogs on great food when we got our lab. Our Basenji previously had been on Trader Joe’s Lamb and Rice Formula. He has been fine on that since we have had him however when I researched the food when we got our lab I was disappointed by the quality. Our lab was adopted from a family who could no longer care for him and he was on Kirkland Lamb and Rice Formula.

First we tried out the Kirkland with the dogs but both dogs were constipated and were having hard stools. Our lab was also going through 5-6 cups a day.

So we went to a local natural dog food store and they sugguested for our budget and needs to put the dogs on Diamond food and they said to rotate the flavor every bag so that their stomachs will strengthen.

Well our lab was flying thru the Diamond food and looked like he was losing weight so we were supplementing with wet food for more protein for him. The basenji still had constipation.

So we decided we need to go to Blue Buffalo for all the ratings. They have been on Blue Buffalo since mid November. We feed the Basenji 3/4 cup of food twice a day and the Lab (80 pounds) 2 cups twice a day.

They did ok with the Adult Lamb and Brown Rice and the Adult Salmon and Sweet Potatoes however they had the occasional diarrhea and or constipation. Now we got the Chicken and Brown Rice formula and every day for the past week both have been either throwing up or having diarrhea. They aren’t lethargic or have any other symptoms. They are both very active still and their coats look great except our lab has a bit of dandruff.

I am wondering what other food should we try? Would going grain free or getting the wilderness blend be better? Or should we switch brands entirely? Is switching the flavors what is causing this even when we transition the foods? Just looking for some advice.

We live in the mountains and this time of the year they have to be inside while we are out so their stomach issues are much harder to deal with and I just want them to feel better!

Thank you in advance!

#34163 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

My boy has I.B.D & Colitis, His vet has told me over & over, keep Patch on the same food do not change it, at first I thought WHAT & i’d give Patch something different & it wouldnt happen straight away maybe 1 week later, the vet explained if their bowel is sensitive, foods will irritate the bowel linning causeing the diarrhea, I noticed my boy cant have cooked rice but if its grounded in a kibble he can eat that kibble, I have to keep the fiber down & I noticed he cant have high protein kibbles, Just start reading which kibble seems to be good & doesnt upset their tummys, see what the protein fat & fiber % was & stick with around that % & just stick with the same flavour & brand for 3-4 months then maybe try a different flavour in the same brand that there doing well on..my vet told me 1 yr I have to keep my boy on the Eukanuba Intestinal then I can very slowly try adding a new food, some dogs just dont do well when their feed gets changed..also put them on a Probiotic this has really helped my boy but make sure u get a good one as there’s a few dodgy ones getting around that do nothing. I use Protexin & it must be kept in the fridge..

#34173 Report Abuse
    Susan

My dogs ate blue buffalo for a while, but I had to switch. They didn’t want to eat and they started having skin issues. I switched to grain free and tried a few different brands. They did well on Nutrisource for a while, but started itching once again. They are now eating Earthborn Holistic and it is the best so far. I have to stay away from chicken, fish and tomato, add a little fiber (pumpkin) once a month or so. Absolutely no more skin problems and they love it.

#34174 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Susan, which flavour Earthborn Holistic do you get??? I think I can get the Earthborn in Australia at Pet Barn..

#34186 Report Abuse
    Susan

I originally started feeding the GF Meadows Feast and they did so will on that, I tried the GF Great Plains Feast and they liked it also. Now they are eating the two mixed and I do believe this is the best dog food for them. I keep some of the tubs on hand and add a spoonful once a day. I would try all the flavors, but mine don’t do well with chicken, turkey and tomato in kibble.

#34190 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve read that people have had success using NutriSource for dogs with tummy issues. Might be worth trying.

#34191 Report Abuse
    Susan

For sure, Nurtisource would be a great food to try. I have used the GF lamb meal but the tomato pomace did not agree with one of my dogs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.