Krill Oil and DHA

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Krill Oil and DHA

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wallyworld

Wile reviewing Hound Dog Mom’s excellent list of large breed dog and puppy foods, (/forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/page/15/#post-21607) I realized one of the foods I was leaning towards did not list DHA as an ingredient (Castor & Pollux Organix Puppy). Oh no, what I am I to do? So I did some research and came across this article from Dr. Karen Becker on Krill oil http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/krill-oil-for-pets.aspx. Yes, DHA is very important to have in a dog food but the stability and quality of omega 3’s/DHA is commercial foods is usually compromised during processing. So I guess I should supplement with krill oil. Besides the Mercola brand, does anyone else have a brand they like? Dr. Becker doesn’t advise using fish oil if you want the best form of omegas.

#21664 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use mercola krill and Nature’s logic sardine oil and feed them whole raw sardines. And once in a while I use Udo’s oil and chia seeds.

#21706 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Wallyworld –

Personally, I would avoid fish based kibbles or kibbles high in DHA. It’s very likely to be rancid by the time your dog eats it and rancid omega 3’s are worse than no omega 3’s at all. It’s much better to feed a kibble low in omega 3’s (preferably with no added omega 3’s – although this would be difficult to find) and supplement with a high quality fish oil, tinned sardines and/or cage free eggs. If you subscribe to the Whole Dog Journal there’s a wonderful article on this topic titled “Fat’s Chance” by Steve Brown from December 2012 – it can be found in the archives online. I don’t use krill oil because it’s very expensive and I think a high quality fish oil is just as good. The most important thing when it comes to picking out a fish oil is quality – use human supplements only, never buy fish oil in pump dispensers, make sure the company tests for contaminants and make sure the fish oil contains vitamin e (helps to prevent oxidation). When it comes to fish oil you’re going to need to spend some money to get a quality product – good fish oil is not cheap. Make sure you store it in the fridge, use it within 2 – 3 months and if it smells “fishy” it’s rancid. I use Carlson Brand Salmon Oil Complete with astaxanthin – Carlson Labs is a very reputable company that makes some of the best quality fish oils for humans and they add high levels of vitamin e to preserve freshness. I also feed organic cage free eggs a few times a week (which are high in omega 3’s) and occasionally feed tinned sardines packed in water. Additionally, I sometimes add plant-based omega 3’s like sprouted flaxseed, sprouted chia seed and hemp seed.

#22495 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I use Nordic natural omega3 for my yorkie. I use the pet version. They’re expensive but I use the Nordic natural liquids for myself so I just order his with mine. Is this a good fish oil for him?

#22496 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Nordic Naturals is a very high quality fish oil – one of the few fish oils where I would probably trust the “pet” version.

#23976 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Has anyone used this product Ark Naturals Royal Coat Express http://www.arknaturals.com/royal-coat-express. The bottle of krill oil is almost gone and haven’t really received the benefit like I thought it would, so I was thinking if changing it up. It consists is 100% wild fish oil and borage oil with no other inactive ingredients. I also will be alternating it with the NL sardine oil I already give and also sardines occasionally. Thanks

#23979 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sandy

Sorry I can’t keep everthing in my head, but does Mila get coconut oil too? That’s where I saw some improvement in Micah’s coat.

#23980 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Yes, I love using coconut oil with her and also see the best improvement especially with her allergies, and use it topically as well. Should I just use that instead of getting another fish oil? I can use both sardine and coconut oils together?

#23982 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Use both, they are both giving her different things.

#23983 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Ok, thanks! You don’t find it necessary for me to alternate another type if fish oil (like the one in the link)?

#23986 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It may or may not help. It certainly won’t hurt anything.

#23988 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would stick with straight fish oil over a fish/borage blend. Borage oil is predominantly gamma linolenic acid – an omega 6 – which you shouldn’t need to add more of. I also, personally, steer clear of fish oils sold for pets. I have used fish/flax/borage blends in the past in conjunction with some other omega 3 dha/epa source but that was generally for the flax benefit on poultry heavy days.

#23992 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Ah, I see. Thanks

#28673 Report Abuse

I’m reviving this thread. So does anyone know how much dha is enough to make a difference? I have a omega supplement that has some dha in it also. I’m just wondering cuz my wellness core puppy food came I today and I was wondering how much dha is like the minimum that will actually make a difference. I heard dha is good for cognitive development also.

#28715 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dogs need 100mg combined of DHA and EPA per 10 lbs of body weight.

#28766 Report Abuse

Thank you patty. You are so helpful. Also EPA was the other acid I was trying to remember but couldn’t haha.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.