Kirkland v Diamond differences

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Kirkland v Diamond differences

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dalaimo
    Participant

Are there any significant differences between the dry dog food Diamond makes for Costco under the Kirkland brand and the food it sells under its own brand? Can the two be fed interchangeably without problems. Thanks.

#22785 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Any food should be able to be fed interchangeably without problems as long as your dog is accustomed to variety (which every dog should be). There’s really not a big difference in quality between Diamond and Kirkland – imo.

#22812 Report Abuse
    dalaimo
    Participant

Let me ask it another way: Is the Diamond dry dog food and the Kirkland store brand Diamond makes for Costco basically the same?

#22815 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It depends on which products you use. There’s a couple varieties of Diamond kibbles (Diamond, Diamond Naturals) and a couple of Kirkland kibbles but since they are made at the same place, I think they could have some of the same ingredients in them.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #22817 Report Abuse
    Shane
    Participant

I know this is off topic, but IMO i wouldnt even consider feeding either of those, due to the fact diamond has like the most dog food recalls ever.. Not saying there food is bad for your dogs.. But is it worth the risk of there being another recall? There are plenty of foods out there that are way better, I have a list of all my favorites and one’s i feel are very dependable if you would like.

#22819 Report Abuse
    chartoll
    Participant

Hi, Don’t know where to post a new question, seem to be on the wrong place whereever I try to ask… , but I would like to hear what people are thinking about dry-food AUTARKY.
    And if it’s so healthy as they say….
    I’m very thankfull for all answers and very sorry that I put my question on the reply Kirkland v Diamond.

#22822 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

chartoll,

The only recipe I would consider feeding is the puppy formula. The others are low in meat protein. Even the puppy formula is just near-average in protein at 28% and I don’t really like the fact that the first ingredient is corn (although it says non-GMO corn). What is prairie meal? For a grain food, it is OK (just the puppy formula).

#22824 Report Abuse
    chartoll
    Participant

Thank you!
    So, for adult dogs it’s to low in meat protein – could be solved with adding fresh meat ?

#22825 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It’s only recommended to add up to 20% of something to a food so you don’t mess up the balance of the food – the vits/minerals/essential fatty acids. I’m not sure you could add enough (depending on the size of your dog) to make it better and not mess up the balance. Instead you can add a canned food that is balanced and high in meat to the kibble. But buying two kinds of foods and additions might as well cost more than buying a better kibble.

But yes, adding fresh meat/eggs/fish to a kibble is always an improvement.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #22832 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

They’re similar but not exactly the same – minor differences. In addition to fresh foods Kirkland makes a canned food called “Kirkland Cuts & Gravy” that is only $0.79 per can and rated 5 stars – that would boost the protein levels as well and you could add as much as you want as it’s a complete and balanced food.

#22839 Report Abuse
    chartoll
    Participant

Thank’s Hound Dog Mom and pugmomsandy!

I’ll try the canned food and see 🙂
    Not that we have this Kirkland Cuts & Gravy in Belgium though… have to Google that one.

#22866 Report Abuse
    dalaimo
    Participant

thanks

#23072 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m interested to see Shane’s list of favorite foods. My 11 year old Lab has been vomiting off and on for a month. I’ve been cooking him bland food, and every time I start easing him back on his Prescription Diet RD, vomiting begins again. Unusual for him; and after vet and antibiotics, I’m ready to blame a bad bag of kibble.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.