Kidney Issues

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Kidney Issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Corky J D

I am feeding my dog raw beef and chicken made by Natures Variety (Instinct). During the day he gets Origen kibble. He’s thriving and has a beautiful shine to his black coat. His energy level is high and he is performing well in agility and personal protection training. Recently some blood work showed up with some small concerns. He is leaking a small amount of protein into his renal tubials and he also has caths in his urnine. I’ve red that too much phosphorus can cause problems with kidneys. Razr is only 2.

Have I caused this by feeding him by what I’m feeding? Any advice would be appreciated.

#98246 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Corky JD-

Was there any diagnosis made? Azotemia? High protein and phos diets do not cause kidney issues, but they can aggravate existing kidney issues.

#98248 Report Abuse
    Corky J D

The vet didn’t give a particular diagnosis, he just hinted at Stage 1 Renal failure because of the way his initial test looked. He said some of it could be simple dehydration but the cath, or cass or something was a reason for concern. I couldn’t tell in his voicemail if he was saying caths or cass. Then there was some protein in his urine that he mentioned.

#98249 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/134679160366/raw-diet-bloodwork-dog#.WO_Wa4WcGP8

I’m not sure if this will be of any help based on your findings, but it might be something to check into. Is your vet aware that your dog is raw fed?

#98257 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Yes BUN can be elevated with dehydration. Elevated BUN is not always a sign for concern. It is when both BUN and creatinine are elevated that it is concerning because creatinine is only elevated when there is a decrease in glomerular filtration.

If you haven’t already I would let the vet know what kind of diet he is on considering high protein diets can also cause elevated BUN. Again, not something that is always cause for concern depending on why it is elevated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.