Kidney Issues – Canned Alternative to Hill's Prescription Diet K/D?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Kidney Issues – Canned Alternative to Hill's Prescription Diet K/D?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kennekra
    Participant

Hey all,

My 15 year old Lhasa/Shih Tzu mix has been diagnosed with the onsite of chronic kidney disease. He’s on Azodyl and until recently was eating Blue Buffalo’s Homestyle Recipe Senior. The vet is recommending we put him on Prescription Diet K/D. While the ingredient list isn’t horrid, it ain’t great either. And I know it’s going to be pricey.

Since Thorndyke only eats canned food these days, what foods would you recommend for him?

Thanks!

#23612 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m going to send Shawna your way.

#23646 Report Abuse
    kennekra
    Participant

Thanks.

#23732 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Shawna is having trouble logging on here so I’m passing on her response.

The diet should be geared specifically to the stage of the disease (aka the BUN and Creatinine values). Protein only needs to be restricted in the later stages of the disease. Restricting too early can cause more harm than good. Nutritionist Mary Straus gives values of protein and phosphorus for each of the stages of the disease on her website as well as some canned foods that would be appropriate. She also gives some dehydrated options which would be a good choice, in my opinion, for your pup. http://www.dogaware.com/health…

I wasn’t really impressed with Azodyl. I use a high quality probiotic and a prebiotic called Fiber 35 Sprinkle Fiber for nitrogen trapping. Works REALLY well for Audrey.

I mentioned some other supplements and foods I use for Audrey in this link if interested 🙂 /… Hope the link works. If not, it’s on the “Off topic” page.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your fur baby!!!

#23752 Report Abuse
    kennekra
    Participant

Thanks for the information. Still waiting on Thorndyke’s updated BUN and Creatinine numbers from yesterday before settling on a course of action.

#23769 Report Abuse
    kennekra
    Participant

OK. After a day of IV fluid, his BUN is down to 74 and his Creatinine is down to 3.5. Vet thinks he actually had a bout of pancreatitis. Still wants to keep him on k/d for now and discontinue the phosphate binder. This is good news. I’ll keep an him on Azodyl and humor the vet through Friday (when we’ll take him back for more blood work.)

This will allow me to read through all these articles while we decide on a course of treatment.

#23777 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s probably exactly what I would do in your shoes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.