🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

I bought the Swanson enzymes recommends here by someone (sorry can’t remember who). Do I just open the pill up and mix it with some wet food? What time of day is best to feed? She’s never had an enzyme before, sorry if it seems like a silly question. I know when people take enzymes they are supposed to be taken before the meal usually so I want to feed it at the right time. Also I had read someone saying that they are supposed to be given without food so that confused me too. 😛

#23471 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Digestive enzymes? Depending on the dose, your dog can just take the whole capsule or you can open it and mix it with his food wet or dry, each feed. This will help with food digestion. When you give enzymes in between meals, then they help the body systemically by aiding cellular function, health and repair.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/8_10/features/15752-1.html

Or do you mean probiotics?

#23473 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

No not probiotics, she gets the PB8 pill for that and she’s been on those for some time now. The DE I purchased is this one:
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-digestive-enzymes-180-tabs

I had asked in a different thread which DE you all liked and it was suggested to me. I was looking at the Mercola one and the ingredients are very similar to it. She is eating grass like crazy.

I also purchased some Spirulina. Do y’all give this? I was looking for something “green” instead of her eating grass. I’ve tried to give her cooked greens but it just doesn’t seem to agree with her, she threw up when I gave her some cooked kale. She eats the grass like crazy and she never throws up when she eats grass. I wish I knew what the grass was so I could plant some seeds…HAHA! It’s only this one type of grass and she can hunt it out apart from all over grass.

#23476 Report Abuse

I just received the Swanson’s DE also. I have been throwing 1 pill into Harry’s AM kibble meal. Evidently he doesn’t like the taste – the 1st day he scarfed down all the food & left the DE pill in the bowl. I now break it up w/a spoon & throw it in. He hasn’t noticed it. He’s 83lbs so I give him 1/day. His PM meal is a kibble/raw mix usually containing tripe so I don’t feel I need to add it then.

#23477 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Thanks freeholdhound! My dog is so funny, she’s had so many pills that when I get out a pill bottle, she thinks it’s a treat..HEEHEE! I always give her a pill then a treat (a kibble) following.

#23478 Report Abuse

Oh my too funny! Harry only gets the DE daily and a probiotic capsule every other day. Any time he’s ever been on meds I just wrap it in good old peanut butter. He’d never refuse peanut butter.

#23480 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I feed spirulina, I just put it in their food. Same with the enzymes, they do have a strong bile smell.

#23486 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

What spirulina do you buy, the Mercola one? I got one off of Swanson with my DE order. The one I got is Earthrise Spirulina Natural Green Superfood 500 MG.

#23508 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I use Starwest Botanicals spirulina. I rarely give the dogs enzymes but when I do I use NOW Foods Pancreatin – I open he capsule up and have never noticed a smell, the dogs don’t mind it either. I get everything from Swanson’s.

#23521 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve used Mercola and Springtime so far. Plus I bought a green superfood mix that has it in it and made a mix using Swanson’s.

#23574 Report Abuse
    pacer1978
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been trying to find a good “Green Food” to incorporate in my dog’s food since they sometimes want to eat grass as well. I was thinking Spirulina or do you recommend more of a green food power? I had purchased Swansons Green Max, but realized it had caffeine in it, which I was told is harmful so that will be returned. Luckily, I haven’t received it yet to start giving it to them. I then found another option, below. If this is recommended over Spirulina, are the ingredients all OK for dogs? I don’t want to end up giving them something harmful that I’m unaware of. Thanks!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-greenfoods-formulas-super-green-max-plus-9-oz-255-grams-pwdr-SWR067

#23582 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi pacer1978 –

The product you linked to contains green tea extract which would contain caffeine. In my experience most human green supplements (unfortunately) contain green tea extract. I make my own green supplement – I buy lb. packages of things like spirulina, wheat grass, alfalfa, kelp, chlorella, etc. and mix them. You can use as may or as few ingredients as you want, it’s cheaper than buying pre-mixed supplements as well.

#23591 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Where’s a good place to buy these HDM? That’s what I’d really like to get is bulk and mix it.

My dog seems like she feels better, like she’s more relaxed and being less of a brat. She’s only 18 months so bratty is somewhat expected but she has been calmer today. If she feels bad, she’s very snippy acting. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.