Itchy?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    NectarMom

We feed Hare Todays ground rabbit mixture in the morning and in the evening we feed Brothers Turkey and Egg. We have been back on Turkey and egg kibble for approx 8 weeks since our bout with Pancreatitis and now We have been feeding 1/2 Raw and 1/2 kibble a day and my dogs are more itchy than ever. I am wondering if it is the carrot in the kibble because carrot has natural sugars in it and sugar feeds yeast as in result causing sugar to feed on the yeast so I am wondering since the ingredients are similar in the Turkey and egg as Natures Variety Instinct but NV has no carrot added , I would switch to the NV Rabbit LID. Yes once again considering a food switch because it is not atopic allergies, for them to smell yeasty it is food allergy. I kept going back to turkey and egg because I was told it takes 6-8 months to rid their systems of Candida but after doing a ton of reading up on it and asking another legit source it should only take 3-4 months at most. Any thoughts?

#19863 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’d personally give NV a try. They have a great line a truly LID foods. I’ve never fed the LID Rabbit (it wasn’t available back when I used to feed kibble) but I’ve used their regular Instinct line in the past, including the (non-LID) rabbit formula and my dog did great one it. One of the best kibbles on the market IMO. It’s at least worth a try.

#19865 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thanks HDM! I just ordered some off of wag.com, it should be here Tues. I know it isn’t the Raw making them itch and the only thing that someone that I trust pointed out in the turkey and egg that could possibly be the itchy culprit is carrot. My dogs are not flaky skin and no fleas or ticks but do once again itchy and the yeasty ears are back too.

#19866 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I used NV Lid turkey a few years back to Boone and he did great!

HDM, what’s your opinion on their raw boost?

#19872 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

NectarMom

It could also be the chicken liver, just because a lot of dogs aren’t bothered by it doesn’t mean your’s aren’t. My allergy dog isn’t troubles by chicken liver, but if he gets any regular chicken his ears start again first.

#19945 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Marie –

I don’t think the Raw Boost is any better than the regular Instinct. The regular Instinct is coated in freeze-dried raw. I think it’s just more money for a product that’s just as good or marginally better at best to the old product. All for marketing I’m sure.

#20020 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I knew the regular Instinct was coated with something but I didn’t know it was freeze dried raw

#20033 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

What about supplementing with krill oil or some type of oil, maybe my dogs need more omega 3 and 6 in their diets. Which oil would be best and how much of it and can I just put it on their regular kibble? Patty you could be right, guess I will find out with the NV because it does not have it in there nor does it have carrot. There is for sure something they are missing in their diet or something that is not going over well with them for all 4 to be itching like crazy. I wish it was as simple as fleas but we have not ever had fleas but I could easily fix that issue. Ugh here we go again

#20084 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Are you giving them any fish oil or fish? If not then some fish or krill could definitely be in order.

#20090 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I have not Patty, I did not think they needed it if just on Raw part time even though I did open one of the sardine packages that I got from Hare Today and only once I gave them a teaspoon of that each. Today I gave them all 1/2 sardine each out of the can and they loved it. I still got 3 packages of Raw sardines and the one package I opened I vacuum packed it and froze it again. So you think Sardines twice a week will be enough? I don’t want to over do it or under do it.

#20091 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Probably good enough. I usually feed one meal a week of oily fish. I don’t really know how that compares to the amount you are giving yours divided up. If mine aren’t getting a fish meal a week, I add krill or fish oil every day. And that is with feeding kibble with omega 3s too. I just try to add the amount of fish, fish oil, krill oil for the amount of raw that I’m feeding.

#20092 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thanks Patty! Where do you get your Krill oil?

#20093 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Currently, I’m using the pump from Mercola, but I will probably get human capsules when this runs out. The thing I like about Mercola’s is the ease of dosing. My little dog gets 1 squirt, no puncturing capsules, no counting drops.

#20098 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thanks I will order some now, I just cannot get any of the mercola promotion codes to work that say they are good until the end of June.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.