Itchy Maltese with sensitive stomach and very picky

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Itchy Maltese with sensitive stomach and very picky

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather B
    Participant

My mom has 2 female Maltese that are 3 and 4 years old. They’ve always been incredibly picky about what they’ll actually eat so my mom hasn’t had much luck with everything she’s tried. She has to take both dogs in for injections because of chronic itching which we do not know the root cause of. Sometimes the skin will look perfectly healthy but they’ll still be itching. Other times they’ll have pustules that typically start on their stomachs and spread all over. They don’t have problems with their ears, thankfully and they don’t have stained fur. One of them has a sensitive stomach to the point of passing blood in her stools from the irritation occasionally. It’s fairly common to find the jelly like stuff in her stools. Her stomach is loud and makes a lot of noise often. Does anyone have a suggestion for a food that will address all of these issues? Thank you for your time

#168911 Report Abuse
    runi K
    Participant

Some dogs benefit from bland meals prepared at home. A simple dinner of cooked chicken and rice, without any seasoning, might help settle an upset stomach and diarrhea. These days, an increasing number of dog owners are turning to homemade diets for all of their dog’s meals.

#168920 Report Abuse
    KathyA P
    Participant

What food is your mom currently feeding? I switched to Open Farm Grain Free Turkey and Chicken especially for my picky eaters and a few had bouts of diarrhea. They love it and are doing great. We have 12 dogs and they all love it. Sometimes I feed their Ancient Grains recipe and I’ve also alternated with Honest Kitchen or added a topper with a little warm water added but I only use toppers from these two companies. http://www.openfarmpet.com I love Maltese! They are amazing dogs. Also, have you taken stool specimens to your vet, especially for the one with blood? Repeated steroid shots can cause serious health issues.

#171748 Report Abuse
    Heather B
    Participant

I’ll need to check because she has to change food often because they’ll stop eating something for a while. Last time I knew for sure, she was feeding Purina Pro Plan for sensitive stomachs I believe that was the variety. Yes, she’s had fecal floats ran as they’re at the vet’s office constantly. The Vet says it’s not what their eating but I wholeheartedly believe that their diet has a huge role in their overall well-being. She wanted to feed Honest Kitchen for a long time and finally took the plunge. It didn’t last long though. If I remember correctly they either turned their noses up at it or they started having diarrhea. I need to sit down with her and write down the foods she tried and what happened with each one. This list may provide some clues as to what sensitivity they may have. Both of us tried Open Farms (isn’t that made in Canada?) with much optimism. My female Maltese had really bad gas and her stomach could be heard rolling and rumbling around from across the room. She fed this to her two for probably 3 months and it made no difference in their ailments whatsoever. I don’t like that her dogs are being injected with so much stuff so often. She says that it seems like every other “caddy” shot works but those in between don’t.

#171749 Report Abuse
    Heather B
    Participant

I went through 5 bags of the Open Farm I believe. In my opinion a food needs time to work so all of this changing around isn’t something I like.

I just remembered that her dogs did well for a while on Taste of the Wild but the problems started while eating this. I’m not sure about which recipe they were on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.