šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cynthia K

Trying to find a chicken free food for large breed puppy. Would like dry, canned and raw recommendations. Using earthborn venture but is labeled maintenance. Usimg rawz canned and vital essential raw duck patties
    She also has had 2 ear infections..

#109397 Report Abuse
    Linda C
    Participant

Our now 6 month old Bernese Mountain Dog is sensitive to chicken and I feel your pain. So many foods contain chicken in some form or another, even if itā€™s not shown as the first ingredient, so I feel your pain. Our breeder (and our vet confirmed and explained) started our pup off immediately on adult food rather than puppy food because puppy foods contain ingredients that promote faster growth (which is unwanted in a large breed dog). We didnā€™t find a large Breed food brand that didnā€™t contain chicken.

After many missteps, weā€™ve settled on Acana Lamb and Apple. Itā€™s a limited ingredient food and our Billie is doing very well on it. There are (I think) four different protein sources to choose from. We donā€™t feed raw or canned so I canā€™t offer a suggestion there.

Good luck, I know itā€™s frustrating.

#109398 Report Abuse
    Cynthia K

I so appreciate your information!!!

#109399 Report Abuse

I think Merrick has a puppy beef, but depending on the size of the puppy it may not be suitable.

#109406 Report Abuse
    ray q

You have several options they are listed on this site. I recommend wysong optimal performance Or the orginal growth kibble. I also recommend Honest kitchen dehydrated base mix. you add your own choice of protein. so you get to decide what type of meat you want to put in.

#109533 Report Abuse
    susan m

I am on my 5th GSD. Congrats! you now have a new best friend. I have had a couple with allergies. The best thing to do is get a allergy test to find out what food your baby is allergic too. Otherwise you will be trying so many. Once you get the test back you can eliminate the ones that has the ingredients your baby is allergic too. Enjoy the breed!!

#109535 Report Abuse
    Cynthia K

Thank you!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.