šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Natasha

My F1B goldendoodle puppy weighs 15.5 pounds and I’m feeding her twice a day–breakfast and dinner. I also give her treats when training her and occasionally some teething bones.

Anyway I’m feeding her the Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula. I’m only feeding her this because this is what the breeder fed her and I bought two bags of it. Once the bag I have now finishes, I’m switching my puppy over to the 5-star dry Wellness puppy formula.

I’m also mixing her dry Purina food with the wet Wellness Petite Entrees Mini Filets (4.5 stars). I feed her 1/2 cup of the Purina with one tub of the petite entrees for each meal.

I’m just wondering if it’s healthy since the petite entrees are meant for small breeds. My goldendoodle is small by goldendoodle standards, but apparently this is medium compared to most dogs. My vet says she doubts my dog will ever weigh over 25 pounds.

#77926 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Is your vet concerned about her weight at all? If not then I’d say the portions you have created are fine. Her caloric intake is most important even though she is going to be a medium sized Golden and not a larger one. Weight gain for any puppy or adult dog is a serious problem.

What are you worried about in terms of the petite entrees being marketed towards small breeds? not meeting nutritional needs?

#77967 Report Abuse
    Natasha

Nope, the vet isn’t worried about her weight.

My main worry was just the “small breeds” marketing of the entrees and whether or not that would be fine for a puppy who isn’t as small as some of the breeds that food is created for.

#77972 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

As far as I know the only thing that makes it for a small breed is the portion size. I am unaware of any special dietary requirements small breeds have (unlike large and giant breeds) other than that some prefer smaller kibble and they generally make the portion sizes smaller as they eat less.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like she’s just fine though. I wouldn’t worry about the petite entrees being marketed towards small breeds.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Pitlove.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.