šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

One of the reasons, pretty much the main reason, that I stopped feeding Nature’s Variety LID dog food was the horrible, I don’t just mean bad, smell of my dog’s waste. When I put this out for the trash pick up, it smelled like a dead animal that had been rotting for a week! But is that a bad thing? I know it’s offensive for me but if it’s not a health concern, I would like to try a different flavor and alternate this food with others.

#23069 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would say that my dogs used to have foul smelling poop. But after giving probiotics/digestive enzymes now they hardly pass gas and it doesn’t smell bad. And one of mine likes to lay next to me in a reserve spoon with his butt just below my chin.

#23081 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

No gas though, just horrible smelling poo.

#23082 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Which probiotic and digestive enzymes do you recommend? I give her PB8 probiotic now which seems to be OK. Do you use the Swanson digestive enzyme or something else?

#23084 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

They’re poo and their gas doesn’t smell bad. And my temporary poop eater doesn’t eat their poop either (just the other foster poop). Maybe your dog expels alot of anal gland juice with pooping? Have you ever had an anal gland issue or ever smelled anal gland product? It’s horribly, horribly, nasty, and fishy, plain old foul I’m told (as my pugs don’t have those issues either). And it seems to big a common problem around my other site pugvillage! I’ve been using the mercola products.

#23085 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Just to clarify why I mentioned poop eating – my almost blind foster eats poop and as soon as one of my other fosters poop, I guess he smells it and goes on the hunt for it. Where as he doesn’t go hunting out my dog’s poop, even fresh ones.

#23088 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Seems that her anal gland issues are pretty much the same regardless of the food she eats as long as her poo is hard enough to expel them. On the Zignature Lamb and when she ate Avoderm Duck for a week, the poo doesn’t smell. Before the NV it didn’t smell on the Simply Nourish (petsmart’s) grain free. Just on the NV LID Turkey. Actually, I wish he Simply Nourish had a food without chicken…her digestive system and glands were perfect on Simply Nourish but she scratched…we can’t win for losing! HA!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by somebodysme.
    #23092 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You could try digestive enzymes and some Yucca schidigera. Yucca helps with stool odor. It’s in kibble but maybe she could use some more. It comes in liquid drops and you can put it in her drinking water. http://www.feederssupply.com/PetCareTips/Nutrition%20-%20Yucca.htm It’s also used for arthritis.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Triple-Pet-Plaque-Off-Fresh-Breath/159006.aspx

#23094 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Simply Nourish has a limited ingredient Swt. Pot. and Salmon that’s grain free and contains no chicken.

#23129 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It sounds like an enzyme issue to me.

#26244 Report Abuse
    rogerharris

You should cook some quality ingredients food for your dog or you can consult with vet as vet can help you out.

http://www.compundiapharmacy.com/

#26261 Report Abuse
    ringohop
    Participant

Has anyone fed Dr. Tims? How was the pups waste (firm/soft), and was it bad smelling?

#26282 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve fed dr Tim’s. My girls poop was not firm, not soft, in between.

#26286 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

ringohop,

give some probiotics and digestive enzymes to help with the stool (especially the smell)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.