šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Susan

I have been looking at the ingredients in dog kibble trying to find a common demoniator in foods that don’t work for my dogs, besides grains and chicken/turkey. All have had chicken fat and,or tomato pumice. Started using Earthborn that has a couple flavors that has neither of these ingredients. After just a couple of weeks both dogs are really doing great. Made a fast transition using pumpkin and all went well so far. They had been eating some of the Earthborn in tubs as topper, so that might have been reason for ease into dry.
    Interesting some of the ingredients down on the list can cause big problems as well as the main ingredients.
    Merry Christmas!

#30563 Report Abuse
    Susan

I need spell check- denominator not demoninator.

#30646 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

But I like demon-inator, it makes math sound evil.

Tomato pomace is a high histamine food, so is a likely culprit.

#30655 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Lol,I like the demon too!

#30664 Report Abuse
    Susan

To me the tomato pomace would be an acid, like the fruit. (As you can tell I have a lot to learn about dog food ingredients.) One of my dogs will get a gurgling sound in his stomach which makes him feel bad. I thought it was from the fruit, but now could be tomato pomace. Also, I think the fish meal/oil in dog food is a good ingredient, but they can also get an imbalance of these ingredients also causing upset stomachs. The type and origin of ingredients is also important. With my little dogs, one dauchshund mix in particular, I have to watch the fiber or she will have anal gland issues. So far organic pumpkin does the trick. Having small dogs has really been an eye opener for me as to dog nutrition.
    Bottom line- I am a believer in food rotation to keep the balance. Thanks for everyone’s help!
    Demon really does fit!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.