šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Corbin S

My black lab has incontinence now. She is 11 months old. I have read and read and read about this problem. The vet has her on Proin which seems to help. I would like to control it with dog food if possible. I’ve read, feed her grain-free food and free of starches. Starches include potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, green peas, beans and lentils. Well, I’m finding it difficult to find Grain-free without potatoes. Any suggestions?

#36034 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Corbin-
    Have you looked at Nature’s Logic at all? It is not grain free, however. It uses millet as it’s binder. Many regulars on this website recommend this food. I honestly don’t know what type of food would help your dog, but I wanted to bump up your post so others may chime in to help you. I’m curious, though about your dogs condition. Does she leak while she’s sleeping or does she piddle when she gets excited and can’t seem to hold it? My male dog had this problem until he was about a year and a half and finally it went away. My sister’s dog leaked while he was sleeping after been neutered. The vet game him a testosterone shot and it eventually stopped happening. I really hope you can find a helpful solution for your pup. Poor thing! Oh, yes, and poor you. I know what it is like to clean up a trail of pee! Good luck.

#36037 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Corbin S:
    I had that issue with my male dog also, but it was only when he was excited. He outgrew it, as many people said he might, when he was over one year old. Although it actually happened again a few months ago when he saw one of his favorite people, heā€™s about four now.

I am not sure if you are looking for kibble or canned food suggestions; all kibble requires a starch to hold it together.

I have no suggestions as far as food goes either, but if you are looking for kibble maybe this link will give you a starting point. The list was compiled by one of DFAā€™s regular contributorsā€™ and has been updated recently. It is a list of grain and potato free kibble. Some or many on the list may include other starches you listed, but at least it will give you brand names without potato in the recipes:
    /forums/topic/grain-and-potato-free-dog-foods/

#36052 Report Abuse
    Corbin S

Thank you both for replying. What I’ve been told by my Vet is Incontinence sometimes happens to spayed females. She will sometimes leave a pool after she has been sleeping. She is completely house broken and never has an accident except when she is sound a sleep. She feels bad and yes the Proin pills have solved the problem however, if I could put her on a dry food diet that would help, I would try to get her off the pills. I know it would be a long shot, but I thought I would try. Again, what I’ve read, people have said to feed her grain-free food and free of starches. Starches include potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, green peas, beans and lentils. I can find grain-free but it seems like they all have potatoes etc. Bobby Dog, I’ve look at your link you sent me now. Thank you.

#36058 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, they usually do feel bad and embarrassed when they have accidents. Poor thing:) As Bobby Dog stated, all kibble has to have some type of starch to bind it together. I know that there are some grain free that use tapioca, like Natures Variety Instinct. Is that considered a starch? I use Victor with my lab mixes, but it does use sweet potatoes as a binder. Maybe you could mostly use canned food? Good luck with your pup.

#106154 Report Abuse
    Kathleen S
    Participant

I just bought Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin and stomach aches for my dog. I bought the Salmon. It has no potatoes and no grains. I’m going to give it a try because everything else has failed and I’ve been going back and forth w
    ith my dog for 3 years.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.