🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    neezerfan

Fingers crossed, I’ll have him next weekend. I don’t know what he’s eating now, but I will continue it for at least a week. My current dog is on Darwin’s and a mix of 5 star canned. He can eat anything. Now that I’ll have 2 dogs, I’ll have to economize a bit and want to add in some kibble to stretch the dog food dollar. My goal is to get the new dog to have a healthy gut so I can rotate his diet, too. I plan on starting him right away on the Mercola probiotics. I will have their pet digestive enzymes, too. When should I start with that? Anything else I should give him? From his pictures, he has a lot of red staining on his beard. If he’s currently on a really crappy food, what’s a good food to transition to? Thanks for any advise.

#35509 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Congratulations!!!

I would start the digestive enzymes as soon as you start transitioning his food, unless he comes to you with bad stools, then I would go ahead and start right away.

#35545 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used Nutrisource grain free Heartland Select and Nutrisource grain free Lamb on my fosters and they do well on those. They don’t get any transition since they don’t (99% of the time) come with their own food. I did have one foster come with Kibbles & Bits! Oh my!

#35547 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Beard? What kind of dog is he? I thought maybe he was a Schnauzer or a breed that might have some unique nutritional needs.

If you’re in a position to have to do a quick switch, I’d give NutriSource Adult Chicken & Rice a big thumbs up.

#35548 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

He’s a Havanese. I did get some Nutrisource samples from a really neat pet food store I found about 1/2 hour away. It’s Choice Pet Supply. I think they are a chain but they have a great selection. I was wondering why lamb is considered easily digestible because I always thought it was high in fat. Maybe that doesn’t matter in dogs?

I’m actually really nervous about getting him. I’ve never had 2 dogs before.

#35549 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

After having two dogs at once, I’d never want to have just one again. My two are best buddies. : )

#35563 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Congrats!

#35576 Report Abuse

Congratulations!

#35580 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Holy Pugs!! 😉

& Congratulations Neezerfan!! 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Cyndi.
    #35583 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

@pugsmomsandy How do you attach photos? XD

Congrats on the rescue. Sounds like you’re definitely on the right track diet-wise. Thank you SOOOOO much for rescuing! <3

#35594 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use photobucket to post pictures in the forum. On the other side, you can insert photos from your computer but you have to shrink them down first.

#35976 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

We brought him home yesterday and it certainly is a big adventure. He’s 2 years old and I get the feeling he’s spent most of his life in a cage. He’s very shy and not well socialized but he’s made great strides in just 1 day. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me about feeding the 2 of them. The first 2 times I separated them with a gate and fed them. Tonite I fed them both in the same room. I’m feeding the new guy half kibble and half canned but he doesn’t want the kibble so he ate the canned portion and went to Rileys bowl which was mostly empty and Riley went to his bowl and ate the kibble (he’ll eat anything). The good news is no one growled or protected their food, but I’d like to avoid that! He seems to be digesting fine even though I switched his food. Should I give up on the kibble?

#36006 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would feed one or the other in a crate so they don’t eat each others food or pretty soon Riley is going to be quite plump.

If you want to feed some kibble because it is cheaper or whatever, you can soak it and mash it so it mixes into the canned better, or throw it in a blender or coffee grinder.

#36012 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Thanks Sandy….testing one out *crosses fingers*…. Yay! It worked!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Shasta220.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Shasta220.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.