šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert H

You have dog foods rated a 3 as an editors choice and yet others you rate at a 4.5 that are not included. Doesn’t the higher rating represent a better quality dog food?

#90896 Report Abuse
    Jeff H

agree. sort of contradictory and confusing.

#91257 Report Abuse
    Charan C

I will go a step further than the previously confused members. On your original reviews the dog food has a lower rating or higher rating than your editor’s choice review rating. Are you keeping up with your own ratings system or do you have someone to verify updates when they happen.

Dont really care about $15, just seems a little disorganized and disjointed.

please reply to all 3 concerns since no one has to date.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Charan C.
    #91264 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi All Concerned-

Here is a link on how the Editor’s Choice BRANDS are chosen:

/frequently-asked-questions/about-editors-choice/

The Editor’s Choice is a list of brands/companies, not individual recipes or formulas that are made by the chosen companies. Some companies make several different brands of foods that are different price points and are rated differently.

All the individual reviews are updated about every 18 months and the Editor’s Choice list of companies is updated monthly.

Hope this helps!

#91395 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I would like to know why Cesar dog food is listed in the online site under the Tuscan Naturals brand when I’m checking for ingredients. Is there some kind of relation between the two companies that make the food? I know I’ve heard Cesar is not a very good brand.

#91408 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Kathleen,
    I am at TuscanNatural dotcom and I don’t see anything with Cesar food. Maybe I’m missing it; can you link what you see?

#91450 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Kathleen,

You said: “I would like to know why Cesar dog food is listed in the online site under the Tuscan Naturals brand when Iā€™m checking for ingredients. Is there some kind of relation between the two companies that make the food? I know Iā€™ve heard Cesar is not a very good brand.”

I’m unable to reproduce your issue.

We do not list dog foods anywhere on this website relative to their specific ingredients. If you search using the general search box for a specific ingredient, then a mix of different products and different brands will be included in your search results.

#91451 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Robert H. and Jeff H.,

Our star ratings are based solely on the content of the dog food label. Nothing else. Yet there’s a whole lot more to know about a dog food than what’s printed on the label.

Please keep in mind that there are many products with 5-star label ratings made by companies who never test their products for nutrient content, disease-causing bacteria (like Salmonella) or for deadly mold toxins.

To make our Editor’s Choice list, dog foods can be rated 3, 4 or 5-stars BUT they must also meet many other criteria as outlined in the following articles and FAQs on our website:

An Insider’s Guide to Finding Superior Dog Food Brands

Frequently Asked Questions About Editor’s Choice

Never buy any dog food unless you first contact the company and ask each of the following 3 important questions:

1. Who makes your dog food (so you can track its recall history)?

2. Where do you get your ingredients? You especially want to know if they get any of their protein-based ingredients from China or other countries known for their inferior food quality standards.

3. Do you test your foods for nutrient content, disease-causing pathogens (like Salmonella), and mycotoxins (mold toxins).

We realize most people don’t have the time or the patience to do all that important research work — which is precisely why we created Editor’s Choice in the first place.

Hope this helps.

#91460 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Charan C.,

You asked, “On your original reviews the dog food has a lower rating or higher rating than your editorā€™s choice review rating. Are you keeping up with your own ratings system or do you have someone to verify updates when they happen.”

It is impossible to verify any dog food the moment it happens. That’s because pet food companies introduce new recipes all the time. And they intentionally delay updating their websites — many times, months after the changes are made.

What’s more, they make no effort to alert their customers — or even review sites like The Dog Food Advisor.

That’s because they must allow time for current retail stock to be absorbed by the market place to prevent the confusion of different recipe availability for consumers.

We visit and update every review on our website at least once every 18 months. Editor’s Choice reviews are monitored monthly and are updated once every 6 months.

In addition, as we state in every review on our website, “We rely on tips from readers. To report a product change or request an update of any review, please contact us using this form.”

Since we update individual recipes within Editor’s Choice at least very 6 months, you may occasionally find a dog food product line review on our public website that has not been modified since its last update. That’s because product line reviews are updated on an 18-month cycle.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.