šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Susan

If a dog is sensitive to chicken/chicken meal in kibble and canned food will they be sensitive to turkey, also?

#28298 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The short answer is no, not necessarily. Allergies and intolerances to food are very specific. As an example, one of my dogs is intolerant of chicken muscle meat, but not chicken liver. I didn’t bother to test it too much so I don’t know if he could handle white meat but not dark or dark but not white, and I don’t know if he reacts to chicken bones, because I can’t get every last speck of meat off a raw bone, and I really didn’t care that much. I avoid chicken with him but he does get a food with chicken liver in it, and it happens to be the food that he does best on. However, there are dogs that are allergic/intolerant to chicken, duck, turkey, etc so they say the are allergic to all poultry, but if they never ate a titmouse or a kingfisher, they can’t be allergic to them. They can only have allergies/intolerances to things they have been exposed to. BTW, they can have exposure in utero too, I imagine.

#28300 Report Abuse
    Susan

Thanks for the info, very helpful! My little guy started biting on his legs and as soon as I eliminated chicken and grain he stopped. Lamb has always agreed with him but would like another meat to rotate. These dog food ingredients can be tricky and it’s interesting and frustrating how some of the more expensive well known dog food out there can or cannot agree with a dog.

#28302 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My boy who can’t have chicken does very well on turkey.

#28317 Report Abuse
    Susan

I have been using nutrisource grain free lamb for kibble and and a spoon of earthborn to keep his interest. What turkey have you used?

#28325 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Susan,
    I’ve fed Natures Variety Instinct & lid turkey, Brothers turkey, The Honest Kitchen Embark

#28394 Report Abuse
    Susan

Thanks Patty and InkedMarie-
    Natures Variety looks very good, but I think the fiber % might be a little low. Past experience with anal gland issues were resolved by using kibble with higher fiber% and ocassional pure pumpkin. Brothers is a good maybe.
    Any thoughts/experience with Avoderm revolving menu?

#28396 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve never used Avoderm so not much help there.

#28402 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Avoderm is pretty good, I think. I haven’t used it in a LONG time though, but I haven’t read even the normal amount of complaints about it.

#28871 Report Abuse
    Susan

Started introducing a little turkey canned food, Merrick gf with kibble. Three days in and little guy just loves it, but started biting and scratching. Think I am going to try duck or bison, something besides lamb.

#28903 Report Abuse
    BluesMom
    Participant

My guy has a sensitive stomach and Nature’s Logic Venison helped him a lot. No turkey, chicken, or lamb… But what helped most of all with anal gland issues was the inclusion of probiotics and digestive enzymes… firmed his stool right up. It might help you figure out more options if you don’t have to worry about a really high fiber content.

#28906 Report Abuse
    Susan

Yes I agree. Pumpkin works well and can be added. Any decent kibble I am looking at has a much lower % than Nutrisource, so I will start trying one or two and add the pumpkin.

#92876 Report Abuse
    Jen K

My little guy’s sensitive to chicken so I switched him to turkey and he was doing well on it for a while (probably about a year) and then he became sensitive to that as well. My vet says that’s relatively common. Now we’re trying rabbit and will hopefully be able to rotate with beef to avoid further intolerances but one step at a time :). I’ve decided to try Natures Veriety raw and he LOVES it so far and him symptoms (diarrhea) are quickly improving. Try not to worry too much, if there’s one thing my little guy tought me it’s to take one day at a time :). Also, there’s tons of options! From fish to kangaroo even! You’ll be able to find things that work!Hope all is well with your fur baby. I know this is an old thread but still wanted to chime in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.