Ideas or recipe for grain free doggie treats

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Ideas or recipe for grain free doggie treats

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jazzyems
    Participant

Recent struggles with my Boxer/American Bulldog has lead me to a grain free diet along with a Probiotic enzyme supplement for her digestive issues. I can finally breath a sigh of relief as her stool is firm and she’s gaining weight. I was wondering about treats. Does anyone have a great grain free treat that won’t upset her digestive system? Or a recipe for some homemade treats?…Please share.

#16806 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

http://www.all-natural-dog-treat.com/pumpkindogtreatrecipes.html

Grain free pumpkin dog treats. You can also substitute coconut/garbanzo/fava flours for grain flours in other recipes.

#16807 Report Abuse
    jazzyems
    Participant

Thank you so much Pugmomsandy for the recipe…Hope to make these real soon.

#16808 Report Abuse
    Boxermom
    Participant

http://www.orijen.ca/dog-food/freeze-dried-dog-treats/

Orijen have grain free treats… But I think it’s expensive (never tried it though).

#16809 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Brothers Complete has grain and potato free biscuits, but I just dehydrate any meat for mine.

#16817 Report Abuse
    jazzyems
    Participant

Fantastic idea Pattyvaughn! I was thinking about that, will have to look into a dehydrator. Thanks for the info.

#16818 Report Abuse
    jazzyems
    Participant

I did see that name Ojan in treats come up several times Boxermom and noticed it was a bit pricey. There is just so much info out there it can be overwhelming. Thanks for your input.

#16827 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You can also dehydrate meats in your oven by setting the temp to it’s lowest.

#16879 Report Abuse
    jazzyems
    Participant

Really? I didn’t know that, for how long? Can I store in zip lock bags or Tupper Ware containers? Do I keep refrigerated?…Thank you so much Pattyvaughn for the fabulous info.

#16880 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Thinly slice your meats and place on lightly greased pan on lowest oven temperature for at least 3 hours.

“Tip #5: Prepare Homemade Treats for your Pet

If your dog happens to be wild for dehydrated chicken strips (chicken jerky), you can make your own quite easily.

Just buy some boneless chicken breasts, clean them, and slice into long, thin strips – the thinner the better. Place the strips on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet and bake them for at least three hours at 180 degrees. The low temp dries the chicken out slowly and the strips wind up nice and chewy.

Let the strips cool, and then store them in plastic bags or another airtight container. You can also freeze them.

If you buy commercial canned food for your dog or cat, you can ‘repurpose’ a can for use as a supply of healthy treats.

Open a can of your pet’s favorite brand, preferably something with a strong aroma, and spoon out little treat sized amounts onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

Put the baking sheet into the freezer until the bite sized bits of food are frozen. Then move them to an airtight container and back into the freezer they go until you’re ready to treat your pet to a treat! (Most dogs will enjoy the treats frozen, but you’ll need to thaw them to a chewy consistency for kitties.)”

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/02/10/easy-to-make-pet-treats.aspx

I don’t take the time to make treats anymore. I buy freeze dried foods or organs like Vital Essentials and Fresh is Best.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #16887 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I make large batches and store in the freezer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.