🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jagger2012
    Participant

I have my 14 month old lab “Jagger” and my 15 week old German Shepherd “Keesha”. Keesha was taken in a few days ago for her last set of shots and I was discussing with my vet that Keesha is a poop eater! Bad! She will not eat her poop but my labs. I have watched her out the window following him around and when he hunches up to poop she will stand right there and eat it as it hits the ground or catch it as it falls and eats it! I am not kidding! I know the whole dog eating cat poop thing but I have never had a dog eat anothers or their own. I try to be outside when they go out to potty but it does not always happen. I do pick up the poop several times a day. My vet suggested getting something “I can’t for the life of me remember the name” to feed them both so his poop is not so appetizing.
    I feed them Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast and Coastal catch. I did order some of the Darwins to try but I can’t afford to have them on that only. I would like to give them Darwins as a lunch and then the kibble for morning and night.

So to my questions: My thought is that she is lacking something as to why she is eating his poop? I was reading on the supplements. Should I try doing some kind of supplementing? And if so what? I have no clue on a lot of this so am needing pointed in the right direction.

Please ask any questions you may have to help me out! 🙂
    Tammy

#24490 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

A lot of dogs just pick up this habit and NOTHING works. I have one that I thought was going to be in this category because nothing I did deterred him, but I read an article that was saying that some foods have that have natural flavoring in them have something that is not digested and makes poop attractive. I switched to a food with no natural flavoring and this dog stopped cold turkey. When we babysit a friends dog that is getting a food with that ingredient, he goes right back to poop eating. I had another dog that adding digestive enzymes made her stop. Something to think about if that works, a lot of GSDs have issues with their pancreas not producing enough enzymes. Poop may be your dogs natural answer to a medical problem.

#24493 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve had my share of poop eaters and nothing has worked except picking it up when they go.

#24495 Report Abuse
    Jagger2012
    Participant

Patty thanks for your input! If I was to add an digestive enzyme what would you suggest? I would like to give it a try.
    Marie, I try my best to be there to pick it up when it happens but it don’t always work out. If this is a habit forming I would like to TRY to break the habit before it is to late. As it maybe already.
    Thanks again both of you!
    Tammy

#24499 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go to Swansons and search digestive enzymes. I think it’s called Swanson’s Premium Digestive Enzymes. Mercola has a good one too, but it costs more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.