🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Devilbrad
    Participant

My dog is so picky I’ve decided I may try making meals we can share, LOL I know if I cook something on the stove or in the oven she will gobble it up. Any meal recipes out there that we can both share?

#10820 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Devilbrad –

Check out the topic “Post Your Recipes” under the homemade dog food section or the “Menu” topic in the raw section. Dogaware.com is a great resource for homemade diets as well, there’s tons of information there.

#10868 Report Abuse
    Devilbrad
    Participant

Allow me to rephrase my question. If I had two chicken breasts, some potatos, and some veggies, what can I make that both Daisy and I can eat together at the same time?

#10872 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Dogs like to eat human food, but they need a balanced diet. Check out a book called “Feed Your Best Friend Better.” It has plenty of human-style easy recipes that are balanced. And dogs love them. My extremely picky dog gobbles them down. I was getting discouraged– he was turning his nose up at $3 a can wet food. But now I can make a whole bunch of food for a lot cheaper, and he actually eats it.

#10875 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

She could eat the chicken/potato/veggies (grilled, baked, steamed, whichever) but you would have to leave off the seasonings and butter and it might be too much carbs for the dog, and she would still need some supplements like calcium for the lack of bone, maybe some additional omega 3, and some other vits/minerals! If you’re going to feed like that I would definitely get a complete doggie multivitamin (Nature’s Logic, Missing Link) and maybe an omega 3-6-9 supplement if these are not included in the multivitamin.

Dogaware.com has a homemade diet section and lists some supplements.

#11041 Report Abuse
    jaimeg
    Participant

Research has over 1,000,000 home cookers and counting. Given the amount of recalls on dog food these days the numbers are increasing and people are becoming more educated on what food they feed their dogs (or kids as we say). We are the exclusive online distributor of My Perfect Pet Food which is located in San Diego CA. They unfortunately lost their dog to contaminated food and decided to start home cooking for their dogs. Just like Jackie B said above, home cooked meals are great but they have to be balanced and that is what we offer. We offer a product made with proteins and vegetables purchased from restaurant/grocery vendors and lightly cook the proteins and combine with the vegetables to create the product. Vitamins and minerals are added to be balanced for the dogs. We received 5 out of 5 stars from Dog Food Advisor. Website is http://www.5thavenuedog.com.

#11395 Report Abuse
    Devilbrad
    Participant

Well, I finally found something she will gobble up. A local butcher shop makes their own dog food from the cow and chicken leftovers (they alternate each week). It also has sweet potatos, carrots, peas, and some other veggies. 50/50 meat and veggies. $1.99/lb and Daisy won’t leave a single scrap. Don’t even have to clean her bowl anymore! LOL I now need to look into supplements, but I thought the butcher said they do add some. I’ll ask him next time I pick some up.

#11396 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

That’s great that you found something she’ll eat! I bet it’s a lot healthier than dog food too. 🙂

If you find that the butcher doesn’t add any supplements (assuming the mix contains muscle meat, organ meat and bone) – I’d add a vitamin e supplement, fish oil for omega 3’s and a kelp/alfalfa blend.

#11398 Report Abuse
    Devilbrad
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it at least has the fish oil. Thanks “mom”, I’ll look into those supplements.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.