Human Grade Dog Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Human Grade Dog Food

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kathy J

Hi –
    I just watched the video you your site “Pet Food – A Dog’s Breakfast”.
    Very disappointed to find out that most dog foods are not using the quality ingredients they claim..
    I would like to know how I can get an honest list of all the quality foods.
    I’d like to be able to feed at least a couple of different brands.
    Currently my dog eats Fromm Lamb and Lentil kibble along with some better quality canned toppers and table scraps. I thought that I was doing a good job but now I wonder.
    I have just gotten samples of The Honest Kitchen to try. All looks good but now I wonder
    if dehydrated foods are digestible – the potatoes, cabbage, sweet potatoes, etc. as they are not broken down by cooking.
    Any help is appreciated.

#69505 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Tucker’s uses USDA materials and a USDA facility (tuckersbones.com). Also K9 Kraving is USDA approved (K-9kraving.com). These are raw foods. Weruva Human Style canned food is made in a human food factory (weruva.com).

#69559 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Kathy J,

In regards to The Honest Kitchen I asked myself the same question in regards to digestibility of the plant matter. I asked the company if they had done any type of digestibility studies and they have not. I specifically asked if they ever did anything as simple as visually inspect “output” and they said they had not.

You can find more information on the THK thread. I hydrated the food, identified and counted the various food elements (sweet potato, cabbage etc) then fed the meal to my dog and evaluated output. I didn’t find the pumpkin pieces and assume it was digested. The sweet potato looked the same coming out as going in. The apple was partially digested and the cabbage and celery pieces had minimal change to them. I then repeated the experiment but cooked the diet before feeding and few identifiable pieces were found.

#69573 Report Abuse
    Kathy J

Thanks for the advice about THK. I continue having trouble with the digestibility aspect of THK or any other dehydrated foods (or raw for that matter). I would not cook it because it would probably dilute the supplements that are added in.
    So, right now I will stick with Fromm – or Acana and maybe Nature’s Variety or Wellness and some canned and my added in home cooked things while I study cooking for him.
    I need to figure out what supplements to add, etc. As I am “older”, I definitely did not want to do the cooking thing but after that horrible video “Pet Food – A Dog’s Breakfast” my solution may be to cook most of the meals and fill in with “quality kibble and canned”.

#69597 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

I agree I wouldn’t get THK and then cook it. I did it only as a experiment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.