🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roobee
    Participant

So I’m a soon to be 16 YO pomeranian who has lived a good life. I was brought up on kibbles but then a few years back got tired of them so I started eating Avoderm canned regularly, while snacking on kibbles. About 6 months ago I started to dislike Avoderm so I was eating a variety of other canned foods. Even with that though, they were trying a number of different labels and 75% of them I wouldn’t touch.

Now unfortunately I don’t seem to like any of them so my parents started cooking various dishes. Even with that though I may like what they give me but only for a day . . . if that. They have tried both chicken and turkey, boiled, baked, or fried, mixed with any of potatoes, brown rice, green beans, peas, carrots, and oatmeal. They can’t seem to figure out what I like or need.

So the last couple days it has just been straight turkey or chicken with a little greek yogurt in the morning. My dad fried me up some chicken liver in olive oil the other day and I LOVED that but I know I shouldn’t eat too much of that. Unfortunately once he tried mixing it in with some white rice and green beans I wouldn’t touch it. I know they have looked at some of the freeze dried raw but at $4/day seems pricey for a lil ol’ gal like me and there is no guarantee I’ll even eat it. I know they have also ordered some liquid vitamins to help provide some needed vitamins. They are trying really hard but running out of ideas.

What else can they do to give me what I need?

#13902 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Roobee –

If she’s that picky and won’t eat the food once you add anything to the meat I’d recommend See Spot Liver Longer Dinner Mixes, U-Stew or or Wysong’s Call of the Wild. All three are powder supplements designed to balance an all meat diet. There are instructions on the package for how much supplement to add to the meat. With these supplements you can feed just meat and your dog will be getting all the nutrients she needs. You can certainly try different extras – yogurt, veggies, fruits, eggs, etc. but if she won’t eat the other stuff you won’t have to be concerned that her nutritional needs aren’t being met.

#13903 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant
    #13904 Report Abuse
    Roobee
    Participant

Ohhhh that’s good information! I’ll have them look into those 🙂 I’m hoping that my system is just out of balance and that’s what is causing my fussiness. Thankyou very much HDM!

#13968 Report Abuse

I would also suggest going to a boutique type petstore)not the large chains) and see if they have free samples, or small sample sized packages of various foods. Nothing lost, nothing gained if she will not eat the kibble. I know out store carries all kinds of samples, some free, some for a few bucks. You may just find that she will go for some kibble again, especially if soaked a bit in warm water to release the aromas. Also, sometimes emailing the companies will get you a sample or two, or a coupon or two for a free can to try.

#14007 Report Abuse
    Roobee
    Participant

Samples are a good idea. We have tried adding warm water, chicken stock, and a couple other things to her kibbles but I tell ya, this girl has ATTITUDE! She wants what she wants, not what we want to give her 🙂 I guess being just shy of 16 with only this most recent year requiring visits to the vet for various ailments she has earned that right.

#14304 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

The Stella & Chewy’s frozen raw, in Surf n Turf, is really tasty for dogs. My picky dog loves it. Kind of pricey, but Poms are small and don’t eat that much. LOL.

You also can try warming up her food, old dogs lose their sense of smell and therefore their sense of taste, so they don’t eat as well.

#14327 Report Abuse
    Roobee
    Participant

Yes I looked at a few of the commercial frozen raw but the prices they want for those are simply ludicrous. I don’t care how much the dog eats.

We have been warming the food, sometimes it helps and other times it doesn’t.

I appreciate the feedback.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.