šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

We are in the beginning stages of finding out what my dog is allergic to. Right now she is doing well on her dog food but I’m VERY limited as to what to buy her and would love to see if I can find out if she is allergic to sweet potatoes. Without buying a bag of dog food that contains sweet potatoes or some other food ingredient…would a home cooked sweet potato cause an allergic reaction the same as a kibble food with sweet potato? And other ingredients too such as salmon or beef? Right now she’s on Avoderm Revolving Menu Duck and is doing great on it. I cannot find any other food that is similar and can only order this on line. It’s like everything has sweet potatoes and potatoes in it. Oh and something like brown rice, could I experiment with cooked brown rice? Her reactions to foods are very fast, just a couple days and I can see it, her eyes begin to water and her ears turn red.

#21992 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Theoretically, that is exactly what you should do. That way you know it is that particular thing that is causing the problem instead of one of the 3 or 5 ingredients that are different than the dog food that was fine. But some dogs don’t show sensitivity to the fresh food where they do to the same ingredient in kibble. In kibble you don’t know exactly what part of the chicken is in there , for example.

BTW, after you try the sweet potato, if you find he reacts to it, you need to give him a couple weeks of just the food you know he is OK with before you try the next possible allergen to make sure the last one and its histamines are completely out of his system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.