šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jazzys_Mom
    Participant

We have a 5 year old Poodle mix that has been diagnosed with a liver shunt. As with most dogs with this problem, she is a very picky eater.
    The only food she will eat ongoing is Freshpet Homestyle Select Lamb in the tub. I am told it has 27% protein which is too high for her.
    How do I figure out protein %? If I add steamed vegetables to her food, does that lower the %?

#17984 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Jazzy’s Mom –

To calculate the protein level of a food on a dry matter basis (the actual amount of protein) you want to do the following:

1) Subtract the % moisture listed on the package from 100% – this is the % dry matter.
    2) Divide the as fed protein percentage found on the package by the % dry matter.
    3) Multiply this number calculated in step 2 by 100% to get the actual level of protein in the food.

You’ll notice that the more moisture the food contains, the greater the actual level of protein in the food is in comparison to what’s stated on the packaging.

Adding vegetables to the food would decrease the level of protein, however, I’m not certain if you could add enough to get the protein where you need it to be without throwing off the nutritional balance of the food. No more than 20% of the diet should be unbalanced extras.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.