šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kelly S

We recently rescued a small mixed-breed dog and I have been looking at Dog Food Advisor when considering food options for her. We are looking at Pet Value brand Performatrin – Ultra Grain Free (dry), which rates a 5 star on this website. The bag claims about 37% protein and the rating here claims 41%. I was in a pet store today and the owner felt that 20-30% is a better protein number for your average household dog. This means that I am back to the drawing board on food options. We have also tried a food that isn’t on this site – Performatrin Limited – Ultra Limited Potato and Turkey formula. It is less ingredients and less protein. I am at a crossroads. At this pet store, the recommended brands were: Pet Kind, Spring Naturals, Nutri-Source, Orijen, Acana and First Mate. I am on here doing further research. Any insight is appreciated. Is there a FB group for this?

#73596 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t know hoe much is too much but I disagree with the pet store owner: IMO 30% is about the minimum I want to see, 28% possiblky depending on the food.

#73638 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I agree with Marie. I tend to not like to feed anything under 30% and I like to see whole meats or meat meals as the first three ingredients. It lets me know that carbs are not making up the majority of the food. A healthy dog will process quality animal protein efficiently where as they won’t process plant based proteins as well. And carbs are just unneeded in a dogs diet, however there is no such thing as a carb free kibble as carbs are used as the binder to hold the food in its kibble shape.

Dogs who eat raw eat upwards of 40%+ protein and everyone i’ve ever talked to that feeds raw has had amazing success with it and finds their dog to be far more healthy than the average dog eating kibble. Hence why I stick to very high protein diets. Some I’ve used include Orijen and EVO(before I knew they were bought by Proctor&Gamble).

edit: The % difference when you look at the reviews on this site is a difference in the dry matter basis vs whats on the GA. The dry matter basis is how the carb levels are determined as well. It means that all the moisture content has been factored out just leaving the the meats grains carbs etc left.

/choosing-dog-food/dry-matter-basis/

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Pitlove.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Pitlove.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.