šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My niece has a 150lb St. Bernard. She’s been feeding him pedigree and I got her to switch him to 4 health grain free large breed because sh has a tractor supply in her small town. Her vet says to feed him 5 cups in morning and 5 cups at night. She’s feeding him 4 in morning and at night. That still seems like a lot of food. He’s a couch potato dog. How much should she feed him? Thanks guys!!!

#22485 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi weezerweeks –

Unfortunately, no one can tell you how much food the dog needs. You can’t judge how much food a person requires based on how much they weigh and the same goes for dogs. A dog’s calorie requirements will vary depending on many factors – age, breed, size, activity level, stress level, environment, whether or not the dog is altered, etc. etc. What I can tell you is that Saints are known for having slow metabolisms. I know someone with a 180 lb. Saint that eats less calories than my 70 lb. bloodhounds. You just need to tell your niece to assess the dog’s body condition regularly. I would suggest starting with the amount recommended on the feeding guide on the bag and adjusting it based on whether or not he loses or gains weight – because he’s inactive start with the smaller amount recommended (most packages suggest ranges – i.e. 3 – 4 cups).

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.