🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jo C

Hi, we just got a puppy we’ll actually my son brought home a puppy. He is so little he has to be under 5 pounds. They say he’s 8 weeks old but I was wondering how much to feed a puppy under 5#. I’m used to bigger dogs and this little guy is a chihuahua. I’ve been feeding a little st a time cause I’m scared to over feed him. Any suggestions?

#96721 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yes, small amounts (1/4 cup or less), maybe 3 or 4 times a day, soft food or pre-soaked kibble, add a little water or plain (no onion) homemade chicken broth to ensure adequate fluid intake.

Don’t forget, what comes in, must come out. Take him to the designated location (preferably outside) at least every 2 hours, first thing in the morning and bedtime, for bathroom breaks. Praise him when he does something.

Somewhere around 3-4 months you can decrease the feedings to 3 a day, then 2.
    Weigh him once a week, to find the right portion amounts once he reaches his ideal weight.

My 9 pound dog eats 1/4 cup of kibble with a heaping tablespoon of topper twice a day, maybe 1/2 carrot once or twice a day for a snack. Don’t be alarmed if you see carrot chunks in the feces, it’s all fiber, it doesn’t hurt them.

PS: Often the recommended amounts on the dog food bags are too much, I would go with the lowest amount.

#96776 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

He sounds cute, I love Chihuahuas!

Whenever we have a toy breed puppy in the house, either our own or keeping one for a friend or neighbor, we keep Nutri-cal or Nutri-stat on hand. These little guys seem to have their blood sugar drop more often than a larger or older puppy would. I can’t swear by it or guarantee it’s worked, but it seems to have helped prevent such instances along with very small, very regular feedings like Anon101 suggested.

#97001 Report Abuse
    Jo C

Thank you both for the suggestions. Let me take one thing back I have owned a chihuahua but he wasn’t as small as this one lol. I’m very curious how big he will get but anyways, He is doing great with the whole potty training. He goes on the pad every time 🙂
    I don’t really see him drink water so that is a little bit of concern for me. When I mixed water with his food he seemed to have more softer runny poo vs when I just feed him canned (wet) food he has solid poo. Other than so 1/4 cup a day so if I am feeding him 4 times a day how much would I give then, i’m so not good with measurements.

Acroyali, blood sugar droppings? I’ve never experienced that with any of my dogs nor my chihuahua nor heard any of my family members have had that experience. What are the signs? lethargic? vomiting? diarrhea?

Thank you all!!!

#97009 Report Abuse
    anonymous

My 9 pound dog weighed 3 pounds at 10 weeks. A 13 pound dog I had weighed 7 pounds at 5 1/2 months. Hope this helps.

#97010 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“Other than so 1/4 cup a day so if I am feeding him 4 times a day how much would I give then, i’m so not good with measurements”.

I don’t understand the question? Give him a couple of heaping tablespoons of food about 4 times a day for now. Just 1/4 cup per day is not enough (imo).
    You should be bringing him to the vet soon, I’m sure he will be able to answer your specfic questions and advise you accordingly.
    Make a list, my friend said it was very helpful to do that.

#97015 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

http://purinaproclub.com/resource-library/pro-club-updates/hypoglycemia-requires-quick-intervention-in-toy-breeds/

Don’t let it scare you or make you super worried though, I’ve seen it but it’s usually a case of a puppy won’t eat or hasn’t eaten in a long period of time.

If he’s eating canned food, I wouldn’t worry about him drinking a whole lot of water. My dogs are fed raw which contains a lot of water (as does canned food, most of it is 78-81% moisture), and they rarely visit the water bowl. They get good hydration from their food.

Enjoy your puppy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.