šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dog_Obsessed

How long is dry food good after opening, if kept in its original package an sealed? I have heard up to 6 weeks. It takes Lily 4-6 weeks to finish a small bag, and I assume it would take her up to 8 weeks when mixed with wet food. I usually keep wet food for about 3 days in the fridge, does anyone know if it can be frozen? Also treats, I have heard it is just until the expiration date for dry treats, but what about moist ones? Thanks to all that reply.

#54789 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You can freeze canned, just put it into an appropriate container. You can freeze kibble, put it in a ziplock and squeeze all extra air out. Let it come completely up to room temp before opening the bag so you don’t get condensation on the kibble. Moist treats either go bad as fast as a moist human food or they have so many chemicals in them that you should be afraid, very afraid.

#54802 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Dog Obsessed,

Nice name!

The fats in dry foods start to oxidize pretty quickly and they are going bad before you can see or smell any changes. The less time the bag is open the better. At 4-6 weeks the fats are what scares me and I think that is too long. 2-3 weeks is much better. For storage longer than 2 weeks of an opened bag of dry food I would place it in an air-tight container like an Omega Seal.

I would keep the food in it’s original bag and place it bag and all in the container. The reason is, if you empty the food into the container without the bag the fats in the food will start to build up on the interior walls of the container. Even though you will use up all the food every 4-6 weeks the fat on the walls will keep building up and keep oxidizing.

Good Luck!

#54806 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

^^^Great advice!!^^^

#54816 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for the replies! It is probably time to toss the moist treats, because I have had them a while. They have citric acid, sorbic acid, and mixed tocopherols listed as preservatives.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.