How do you prepare a Dog…?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum How do you prepare a Dog…?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kayla

I am considering on adopting another little pup from the shelter. How do I prepare my dog that a new dog is going to come into the home. How do I make this transition easier? So far, Dexter has been the only dog in the home. I want him to have a friend also so he isn’t bored out of his mind when I am not there.

#60067 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

It’s been forever since I’ve had only one dog but we adopt senior dogs so we’ve had dogs come & go often. We don’t prepare, we just have them meet in a neutral place (except our last dog, she’s just walked in & owned the place) and haven’t had any problems.

#60080 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Have them meet somewhere other than at your house. Give your dog plenty of attention, especially for interacting appropriately with the pup. Take the pup home with you and pop it in to a crate and give your dog more attention. Let them get to know each other more with one or the other in a crate, then start taling them out to go potty together. Always give the old dog more attention and treat for interacting with the pup in an appropriate manner. Pretty soon older dog will be showing pup the ropes.

#60104 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I am not getting a new dog anytime too soon, but this is good info to know, so just posting here so I can keep an eye on the thread! 🙂

#60106 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@Kayla I’m sooo glad your thinking of rescuing a dog! What everyone else said is good, I would also recommend spending some individual time each day with each dog, even after the initial introduction period.

@Marie
    I want to hug/high five your right now. I have volunteered and fostered for a senior dog rescue, and there is just nothing like the joy a senior brings. There is an online community called Susie’s Senior Dogs that promotes senior dog adoption that you might like: https://www.facebook.com/susiesseniordogs

#60141 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Thank you for all the tips and advice!! I will be looking at the Shelter tomorrow 🙂

#60154 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

DogObsessed: thank you! We have adopted three senior dogs: Emma was an 8 yr old American Foxhound, Katie an 11 yr old sheltie & our current sheltie, Gemma, who was 10 or 12 when we got her two years ago next month.

#60216 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, take ur boy to the pound with you & he’ll pick his new sister or brother, Here in Austrailia we have a little section for meet & greets in our pounds, where you bring ur dog & see how they play & get on, its highly recommend that you bring ur dog….they see alot of returns as their dog doesn’t get on with the new rescue dog, (SAD) when the poor rescue dog has to go back to the awful noisey pound….
    also keep his routine the same when you get home, pay the same attention & dont leave him out of anything…the pounds are always full around Xmas, Ive been looking at getting another little staffy girl around 4-6 yrs old …I know Patch once had a partner, so he must miss the dog company…

#60290 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I didn’t have the time today to go to the Shelter. I will look around the shelters and call them to see if I can bring Dexter to make sure that he is okay with the new dog. Thanks again 🙂 I will keep you updated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.