🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CK C

I have a dog with IBD who is currently on a special homemade diet. We are hoping to transition him to a store-bought dog food at some point. He needs a simple ingredient food that is pork based. He is allergic to poultry and fish. Our local store recommended a new Horizon brand dog food that is pork meal based called Taiga. I can’t find reviews of it anywhere.

It’s 13% fat, which is great for my dog, who needs a lower fat diet.

I would appreciate any help with this quest! Does this look OK for food?

Here are the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS
    PORK MEAL, RED LENTILS, PEAS, GARBANZO BEANS, PEA STARCH, PORK, ALFALFA MEAL, CANOLA OIL, CARROTS, APPLES, BROCCOLI, BOK CHOY, CABBAGE, BLUEBERRIES, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT, DRIED ASPERGILLUS NIGER FERMENTATION EXTRACT, PINEAPPLE, DRIED TRICHODERMA LONGIBRACHIATUM FERMENTATION EXTRACT, DRIED ENTEROCOCCUS FAECIUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS CASEI FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED BIFIDOBACTERIUM BIFIDUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN, NIACIN, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, BIOTIN, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN C), FERROUS SULPHATE, IRON PROTEINATE, ZINC SULPHATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, COPPER SULPHATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SELENIUM YEAST, MAGNESIUM OXIDE.

#112184 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

We’ll be reviewing Horizon Taiga sometime in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I cannot yet provide any guidance on this product until we’ve had a chance to load the recipe and Guaranteed Analysis into our spreadsheet.

With IBD and since this recipe appears to be heavy in legume (and fiber) content, I’d be inclined to ask your vet before purchasing.

Hope this helps.

#112185 Report Abuse
    CK C

I had similar concerns about the legume content.

I appreciate your helpful opinion!

I’m still looking for a pork-based food without legumes.

Thanks again.

#112188 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Have you checked out Whole Earth Farms Pork, Beef and Lamb kibble? It is Merrick’s value brand. It does not have any poultry or fish, except for salmon oil. Would this work for your pup? I have fed it to my two many times. It is fairly low in fat and primarily pork based.

Good luck, hope this helps!

#112193 Report Abuse
    CK C

It is very kind of you to help me out! Thank you. That food looks like a distinct possibility. I would have to trial it to see how he does with the salmon oil. Otherwise it looks good, nothing irritating for IBD and low in fat.

I appreciate the help!

#112199 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You are welcome. Maybe you’ve tried this, but I use various search engines, such as Chewy, PetFlow, PetSmart and Petco to find a food with a certain main ingredient. Some of them are a little better than others.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by crazy4cats.
    #112201 Report Abuse
    CK C

I took your advice and found a food without fish oil that may work for my dog. Thanks so much for your kind help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.