🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hello, guys! I have made homemade doggie treats a couple of times, so I decided to share my recipes in case anyone wants to try them on their pets!

Most recent, “Fall’s Abundance” frozen treats:
    1 small fuji apple, without the seeds and stem
    1/2 – 2/3 cup cooked (baked/boiled/microwaved) sweet potato (with or without skin)
    1/2 – 2/3 cup cooked (baked/boiled/microwaved) butternut squash
    1 medium carrot (or 3-4 baby carrots), cooked (boiled/roasted/grilled) or raw.
    1/2 cup plain pumpkin (baked/boiled/microwaved/from a can)
    1/2 cup plain/greek yoghurt
    1/2 cup chunky “raw” peanut butter (ground up plain roasted peanuts. If you can’t find any, peanut butter with no or little added salt/sugar will do)
    2 Tbs tahini (ground sesame seed paste/liquid)
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ginger powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Place all ingredients in a large food processor or blender (or do it batches), and process until smooth or partially chunky. Place in freezer bag and cut corner off. On a piece of foil placed on a flat surface in the freezer, pipe little morsel shapes close to each other. Let them freeze for about 30min or so. Peel off of the foil and put in a plastic container (or another freezer bag) and store in freezer. My Bruno and his “roommate” (our roommate’s dog Casey) loved them!

P.S. I think that if oat/brown rice/whole wheat/any flour is added (and/or oatmeal), these could be baked into cookie treats, in which case I would recommend refrigerating them for up to a week tops, and freeze the excess to be used when desired in up to 4-5 months.

I will post my other 2 recipes soon!

#29085 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Healthy Doggie Pizza Treats

Ingredients:

1/2 Best Bully Sticks Chicken Sausage
    1/2 Best Bully Sticks Bacon Sausage
    1 Best Bully Sticks Beef Sausage
    1 Dried Fish Skin (optional)
    3 strips Duck Jerky (optional)
    1 medium carrot
    1 radish
    2 celery stalks
    1 egg
    2/3 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used Colby Jack)
    1 small low sodium beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
    1/4 cup tomato paste or tomato puree (made of tomatoes and water only, no sugar or other added ingredients)
    1 teaspoon olive oil or bacon fat
    2/3 cup unbleached flour (whole wheat or brown rice flour would work too)
    1 tablespoon dry parsley leaves
    1 tablespoon dry rosemary
    1 tablespoon turmeric powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a food processor or blender, grind up beef, bacon, and chicken sausages as well as the duck jerky and fish skin to fine powder/tiny crumbs. Fish skin and jerky may remain a bit stringy, but that is okay.

3. Pour dry meat flour mix in a mixing bowl.

4. In a food processor or blender grind until finely chopped the carrot, radish, and celery.

5. Pour in the mixing bowl with the meat crumbs.

6. Add all remaining ingredients.

7. Using a spatula or your hands, mix until a homogenous wet mix forms.

8. Pour mix on a cookie sheet or pizza pan lined with parchment paper and even out until about 1/4 inch thick.

9. Bake for 30 minutes.

10. Take out, let cool down just a bit then cut up in desired treat sizes.

11. Serve to beloved pooch(es).

P.S. This is where I got my dry sausages for the “meat flour” from: http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/search?keywords=sausage&submit.x=-959&submit.y=-93

#29086 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dog Oatmeal Cookies

This is my very first endeavor at homemade dog treats, so the measurements may not be totally exact…

Ingredients:
    1/2 – 2/3 cup cooked (baked/boiled/microwaved) sweet potato (with or without skin)
    1 medium carrot (or 3-4 baby carrots), raw – shredded
    1/2 cup chunky “raw” peanut butter (ground up plain roasted peanuts. If you can’t find any, peanut butter with no or little added salt/sugar will do)
    3/4 cup unbleached flour (or whole wheat one, or brown rice one)
    1/2 cup plain oatmeal
    1 medium/large egg
    1 tsp brown sugar
    dash of honey
    1 tsp ginger powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until a homogenous mixture forms (if mixture is too wet, add some more flour or oatmeal gradually until mixture is sticky but not at all runny)
    3. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.
    4. Using a small ice-cream scoop, scoop balls from the mixture and place about 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. You can press them down and shape up in whatever shape you like
    5. Bake for about 20-30 min, or until golden brown-ish.
    6. Let cool down and feed to beloved pooches.

These can also be refrigerated for about a week or frozen for 4-5 months.

#29241 Report Abuse

My doggie LOVES “salmon pops” that I make with a can of Wellness 95% salmon mixed with a can of organic pumpkin. It’s a pretty easy consistency for spooning into ice cube trays and they pop out smoothly for rebagging after a minute on the counter. I give her one or two a most days for the benefits to both skin & coat and digestion. She dances all the way from the kitchen to her special mat that she has to eat them on because a] they smell pretty bad on the fingers [so don’t want it on my carpet] and b] because they could be messy [if they lasted long enough to thaw]. I honestly don’t know how she doesn’t get a brain freeze from holding and chewing a whole cube down to nothing in less than a minute. They get an amazing response from my generally picky eater. It would probably be pretty easy to hide supplements or liquid meds in them as well. I think they may even help her teeth a bit since she chomps and gnaws with her back teeth more than she licks at them.
    I have also thrown a few to the neighborhood cats who are starting to look a bit skinny this autumn. They definitely lick at it, but it is usually gone within a few minutes.

#32438 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I am starting a business with home made treats. So far I’ve only made pumpkin-flax treats, but I’m going to come up with other super nutritious flavors as well. I’ll be making the “home made greenies” to sell (they help with bad breath by working in the digestive tract, which also will help relieve any smelly gas…)

I noticed you use spices in your first treat recipe. I know that cinnamon is great for dogs, and I think ginger is good too…but I’ve read somewhere that nutmeg is very toxic to dogs. It’s probably best to avoid adding much seasoning other than maybe the cinnamon. Dogs usually don’t care about spice-flavors anyway 🙂

#32584 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Shasta,

When I researched foods/spices toxic to dogs, I never saw nutmeg listed, so I assumed it was ok. But you never know, and research keeps finding new stuff, such as I read somewhere that rosemary (present in many dry kibble and treat recipes, and not marked as bad by Dr. Mike), is now considered dangerous for dogs. Go figure.

In any case, I like to use spices for their benefits more so than flavor for my dog, i.e. turmeric is a natural antibiotic, cinnamon helps with weight maintenance and is good for the heart (so I have read), ginger helps with carsickness (which my pup often gets), etc. Also, aside from the Doggie Pizza Treats, the other 2 recipes are fit for human consumption, so Bruno didn’t really get TOO much of them, and definitely not too much all at once. But thank you for the input, and I will try to keep myself up to date on new findings on spices regarding dogs! 🙂

P.S. If your dog treat business takes off, please start and online “store” – I would love to give Bruno some of your treats! Or, if you live near Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw, GA, let me know if you take the treats to any local Farmers’ Market or some similar place where I could buy them!

#36105 Report Abuse
    kvee

Aleksandra, I have seen some information on nutmeg being toxic for pooches. Mostly, I remember this warning during thanksgiving (warning not to feed them pumpkin pie). How are your dogs reacting to it?

I do not make any treats with any flour for my dog — although I tried to use garbanzo (chickpea) flour because it allegedly has high protein and it is very cheap. But I am a horrible baker and couldn’t make the concoction work for me.

What I do for treats is buy different fruits and veggies on season and sale. Soak them on water and vinegar and rinse them, throw them in the blender and then freeze the. Susie loves to munch on these.

I also make bone broth. I simmer a whole organic fresh raw chicken with filtered water and a tablespoons of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) for 24-48 hours. I freeze the broth into ice cubes and give them to Susie whenever she’s not feeling to hot about eating (it seems to open her appetite) or when it’s hot out. She loves those things too.

I hope this help. BTW, lesson learned on the bone broth. I went old-school and did it stove top.. Susie’s father and I had to take turns to watch the pot boil (literally). I am buying a crock pot soon.

#36120 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Kvee,

I haven’t made treats recently, but note taken – no more nutmeg. Bruno didn’t seem to have any problem or reaction to it though – it was a fairly minute amount for the amount of treats rendered.

As for wheat flour, my goal is to eliminate it completely. I would try chickpea, quinoa, or coconut “flour” (meal), or tapioca starch next time and see what works how. Bruno also likes raw fruits veggies – carrots, celery, radishes, apples, pineapple, mango, banana – he’s a mess, but at least easy to satisfy.

We don’t have much space in the freezer, but frozen treats are something I have sort of tried, and would again.

#36134 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Oops, just now saw your reply to me that was written in January.

Spices are quite controversial, I’d have to say. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much about adding them. They don’t add any more/less flavor for the dog, and it’s probably such a tiny amount that it wouldn’t really benefit the dog much.

I do like adding cinnamon though….mainly cuz a sprinkle on top looks so darn nice, LOL! I’m having a hard time with replacing wheat flour myself. So far I’ve only tried oat and rice – it makes super crumbly treats in my opinion… If you ever find a flour combo that “binds” as well as the wheat, be sure to let me know! 😀

#36145 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Lol, it’s ok! Yeah, I think the spices are not too substantial, but I will embark on a quest to find healthy flours/binders to use in treats sometime soon… Right now I don’t have the budget for these experiments, but hopefully one day in the near future it will happen! 🙂

#36350 Report Abuse
    Haywood U

Thanks for sharing your recipes. I picked up a dog treat book about a year ago and have experimented with a couple of different recipes.

One that really surprised me was one with sardines. I happened to have a few cans in the pantry – trying them is something on my bucket list, but I can’t ever seem to bring myself to try them 😉

3 raw eggs
    1 can of sardines packed in olive oil
    Package (sleeve) of graham crackers

Mix in blender until liquified. Pour onto a cookie sheet and spread out. Bake at 350 F for approximately 20 minutes until it looks rubbery and light brown on top.

Let cool then cut. (I used a pizza cutter to slice up into little squares).

My dogs went absolutely nuts for them.

Recipe didn’t give any tips for storage, but they lasted about a week in a plastic bag before they started to get fuzzy, so I’m thinking they need to be refrigerated or frozen. ???

#36390 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Haywood U, your recipe sounds really good too, I would totally try it! I would probably freeze the treats, or at least refrigerate if I expect that they would be gone within 2 weeks.

#36394 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Love your new avatar! I’m guessing that’s Sir Bruno? 😀

#36395 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you! Yes, M’am, it is! 🙂 He was still fitting in his “mini” harness in this picture, and it is taken a couple days after his stitches were officially out from him being neutered. 🙂

#38960 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Thank you for giving the recipes of home made dog foods. I also prefer home made food for dog because its good and healthy for the dogs. Surely, I will try your recipes.

Thank you

#38961 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You’re welcome, Cesar.

I did actually come across some coconut and almond flour and Xantan Gum (a binding agent for nontraditional flours in baking). Does anyone know if it is safe for dogs? I would like to try it in grain-free treat recipes with no grain flour.

#38990 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Guys and Gals

A few years ago when it became clear that there was a problem with the Chinese Jerky I started to make my own jerky treats. I use only free-range chicken for my chicken jerky and wild caught fish for my fish jerkies. My treats have only one ingredient, meat fish or poultry. I use fresh meats from local supermarkets like Whole Foods so all of my treats are human edible. I gently dehydrate the meats to make jerky. I vary the drying times so I can make a more chewy treat or a crunchy treat.

Since dogs are designed to eat a diet high in meat and low in carbs plus they absolutely love jerky treats I wish you guys would make your dog’s treats with more meat and less carbs. You don’t need to use flour or a lot of starches if you make jerky type treats. You can use whole meats, fruits and vegetables or you can grind up mixtures of meat and veggies or fruits and dehydrate them. You can make them in an oven at the lowest temperature or you can use a dehydrator. Veggies and fruits will add antioxidants and vitamins while meat will supply the needed protein and fat.

Even though I call them treats the jerky I make is designed for a carnivore like a dog and since dogs absolutely love meat based treats it is a win win situation!

#42125 Report Abuse
    Naturella

USA Dog Treats,

I do want to try to make jerky-style treats sometime in the near future. For now though, I have come up with a new “ice-cream” recipe, here it is:

Ingredients:
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1 tbs coconut butter
    1/2 tbs peanut butter
    1/2 tbs tahini (sesame seed “butter” or paste)
    1 tsp raw local honey (or any honey)
    2 1/2 tbs Greek or plain yoghurt/kefir
    1 tbs crushed fruit (peach, berries, mango, banana, etc.)
    1 tsp flax seed meal
    1 tsp almond meal
    1 tsp coconut meal/unsweetened flakes
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Prep:
    Melt the first 5 ingredients in microwave or on stove until super soft and easy to stir and homogenize. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into sandwich bag and cut the tip off. Pipe into favorite toy (makes a hoof and a medium kong full of goodness plus some more) or pipe into little treat-sized piles on aluminum foil and freeze up.

These are quite caloric due to all the oils so serve sparingly. But they should be very good for coat (the coconut oil), digestion (yoghurt and flax seed meal), and overall immune support (turmeric – natural antibiotic; cinnamon – has some health benefits of sorts I hear) and health (no grain, healthy fats and carbs, some protein too). And great on a hot summer evening after a day of running/playing/swimming at a lake, beach, or the dog park! 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Naturella.
    #45653 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Has anyone figured out how to hold blended up fruits/veggies and other items together? When I make treats i want to make them into cm by cm cubes, but when i freeze them in an ice tray they are really big, so i want to find out how to freeze them smaller. So i will put them on a tray and freeze them into cubes, but does anyone know how to give them some consistency to stand up when i put them on the tray?

#45654 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Also, Shasta, how do your homemade “greenies” work with bad breath? I really some of those if they help with gas and bad breath.

#45657 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Zach, I’ve seen smaller icecube trays. I used to have one that froze cubes into little inch by inch squares. That might work for you.

Edit** I had this one http://www.kitchenproject.com/EnchantedSpice/VanillaSugar/VanillaSugarCubes/images/icecubetra.jpg

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Cyndi.
    #45659 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Ooohhhh I need that Cyndi!!! I didn’t know they made trays like that.

#45660 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Lol!! I would imagine you could get them at like Walmart or something similar. Good luck! 🙂

#45670 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Candy molds from walmart or where ever hold about 3/4 of an oz. I have pumpkins and gingerbread men. I like the gingerbread men best because I can cut off arms, legs, or head as needed for the JRT.

#45678 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

LOL!! That’s a good idea too!! Do you do an evil laugh when you cut the arms, legs or head off the gingerbread men? Lmao!!

#45690 Report Abuse
    Zach M

BCnut, I could so picture you doing that!

#47424 Report Abuse
    fey W

Great recipes! I always prefer home made dog food just as its good and healthy for my lucky. I will try your recipes. Thanks

#57839 Report Abuse
    Talia B

First post here so this may be listed someplace else. I’m looking for a soft treat (that I can shove a pill into) that’s homemade and does not include peanuts or cheeses. Any ideas? TIA

#57846 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I use liverwurst, not homemade, but the dogs are so crazy over it that they don’t try to get the pill out of it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.