Homemade raw dog food help

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food Homemade raw dog food help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ella S

After reading lots of things about the benefits of raw I finally want to switch him over.
    I was thinking this would be a good recipe:
    8 oz of chicken
    1 oz of liver
    1 fish oil capsule
    2 tsp canola oil
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    8 oz of mixed veggies

This is the daily amounts for my dog.

#79000 Report Abuse
    Ella S

Forgot to mention 1 tbsp pumpkin and 1 tbsp yogurt twice a day

#79051 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Hi Ella,

Read up some more on homemade raw. Is your recipe boneless? Chix breast or thighs? No gizzards or hearts? Liver ratio? How much fish oil for the weight of your dog? Vitamin E? I am not sure canola oil is necessary. Your parsley and veg ratio is probably fine with the pumpkin and yogurt.

Keep in mind that variety is key for the long term. You will need to add more proteins than chicken.

#79054 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Ella,

Please do some research before you make up a diet for your dog. Whole Dog Journal, Dogaware.com and Karen Becker, among others have several homemade balanced diets for dogs.

#79060 Report Abuse
    Ella S

Thank you will have to check out

#80269 Report Abuse

Hi all,

I’d be curious to hear more input regarding what the original poster Ella S included about feeding a tablespoon each of plain nonfat Greek yogurt and canned pumpkin per day. Are there any risks involved in this? I have a 60 lb dog so I don’t think a tablespoon would make much of a difference, but I am concerned that this might be a bit too much Vitamin A in the long run. She’s currently transitioning to raw and suffers from slightly mushy poo, so I add it in to aid in digestion and to help keep bowel movements regular. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.