šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

I am finally to the point of making my own dog food. I am. Not one that wants to consider the RAW, although I know it’s the best. I also know this is a serious committment and must be approached with enough knowledge and understanding, in order to preserve the health of my dogs. Frankly, I’m just tired of trying to research and choose from all choices of dog foods out there, trying to make sure they are safe and nutritional. I have a 3 month old Sheltie pup and a year old mini Aussie (about 25 lbs). I would like some recipes that are not extremely complicated, and that I can make up on a weekly basis. I do not have an overage of freezer/refrigerator space, so I have to make just a short supply at a time.

I would very much appreciate recipes or tried and true books on the subject.

Thanks!
    Nancy

#60406 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

check out the homemade food and raw food forums, lots of good advice and book recommendations there. Good luck!

#60410 Report Abuse
    USA

HI Nancy M,

I think it’s a great idea to make your own dog food!! That’s what I do. A very good book on the subject is “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet: Healthier Dog Food the ABC Way” by Steve Brown

Any dog food recipe that does NOT contain ground bone can be cooked. You will also need a supplement to balance the meals unless you follow the recipes to a T. Steve Brown also made a supplement but it won’t be available for a while. The supplement I use for a mostly meat diet is “Balance IT Original BlendsĀ® – Carnivore BlendĀ® for Dogs & Cats”

https://secure.balanceit.com/marketplace2.2/details.php?i=23&cc=

I also add sardines in water to their food once or twice a week. And probiotics and digestive enzymes 2 or 3 times a week.

Good Luck!!!

#60417 Report Abuse
    Laura M

Hi Nancy – I just recently purchased an e-book on the subject of Home Prepared Diets for Dogs – Cooked Diets from the Whole Dog Journal website. I haven’t gone through it much yet, but I rely heavily on the Whole Dog Journal for information. Maybe you are a subscriber as well, but if you go to their home webpage at the bottom it says “products” and then click on e-books and you will see a series of e-books on preparing food – part three is for cooked diets. They also have raw and a mixture – so if you decide to do raw I’m sure it would be great info as well. Good luck!

#60423 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Lew Olsons book called “Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs & Cats” THE DIFINITIVE GUIDE TO HOMEMADE MEALS, Lew has cooked recipes in her book for puppys, for health problems etc & the recipes are so easy & balanced, her book is cheap around $12 on Amazon….You’ll see a heap of dog meal books on Amazon.. Dr Becker also “Real Food For Healthy Dogs”..but I found Lew Olsons the best for home cooking & easy..

#60428 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Thank you all for your input and great information! Looks like I’ve got some great places to start!

Merry Christmas to all!
    Nancy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.