Homemade Dog Food, please give advice!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Homemade Dog Food, please give advice!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Devin G
    Participant

Hi everybody, this is my first post and I hope you cam give me helpful advice from your experience/knowledge. Please take it easy on me as I know how forums can be and how judgemental some users are. I am not experienced with this site so I apologize if this does not apply to you guys and gals! I just want my dog to be healthy and live as long as possible!

I have a question about homemade dog food. I have read books and researched the web to come up with a homemade diet for my dog. He is an Australian Terrier/Chihuahua mix that is approx 5 years old.

These are the ingredients I used tonight for his food tonight and please give any tips and knowledge you have about these. I wont go into too much detail and exact amounts used to save time but here is what I put together:

Lean ground turkey (lightly cooked with coconut oil)
    Broccoli heads (lightly cooked in bone broth with the carrots)
    Carrot (minced and lightly cooked in bone broth)
    Anchovies (very lightly cooked then chopped)
    1 egg (scrambled and cooked until just a little runny)
    2 egg shells powdered (added and mixed at the end)
    Little coconut oil
    Little vegetable oil
    Little bone broth
    1 small sweet potato microwaved and skin removed
    Little ground ginger

These are the ingredients and unwould appreciate any feedback. I used amounts close to what I found in books and from a Vet recommendation. I would really appreciate any experience with these ingredients you have regarding a dogs health. My dog weighs around 12lbs so I would also appreciate how much you would feed this weight daily. I mixed some with his blue buffalo dry food tonight as to not upset his tummy. I know broccoli can cause gas and has an ingredient not good in large amounts so I went light on it and only used the green tips.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

#153919 Report Abuse
    Devin G
    Participant

I also mixed one of his small blue buffalo wilderness wet food containers in with it since he only had a tablespoon of it today mixed with his dry food. Excuse any typos I am using my cell phone! 🙂

#154059 Report Abuse
    Birdie30
    Participant

Hi Devin,
    That menu looks pretty good. 🙂 I would suggest a bit less oil and maybe cook the veggies a bit more (not sure how lightly you’re cooking them) as I’ve read that veggies do not get absorbed as nutritiously if they’re not cooked. It also helps to blitz or puree them rather than giving them whole, for some reason. You can then add bone broth to make a kind of slurry.

The reason I suggest less oil too is because oil is fatty, and too much fat can upset the tummy. You might want to also try, instead of veggie oil, fish oil. I use a sardine/anchovy oil , and it’s done wonders for my dog’s fur and coat – so soft and shiny! I believe there are fish oils you can get that also supply Vitamin E.

For the egg, another variation you can try is to soft-boil the egg so that the yolk stays fairly intact and runny. The yolk is very nutritious and cooking it does deplete some of the nutrients (from the heat). And finally, instead of eggshells, which could be sprayed with pesticides, you can instead give her a bone meal supplement. It’s a powder and provides plenty of good calcium/phosphorus supplements that your dog needs. Otherwise, lookin’ good!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.