Homemade Dog food for heart issues

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food Homemade Dog food for heart issues

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Q

My 13 yr old Pom has a grade #4 heart murmur. I have an appointment scheduled with a dog cardiologist coming up. But I want to make her good heart healthy food for her condition. I know protein is needed. But I feel lowering carbs will help to keep weight down. Being overweight is a strain on the heart. I need a few ideas that would be fairly easy to put together and also if she should have a multi-vitamin? I hear low salt. There is no good dog food sold for her condition. If I make it I will know that she is getting what she should. I hope to get some ideas from people that have a similar situation as me. Thanks

#119025 Report Abuse
    Lori J

Hello ` I am in the same boat ~ wish someone would post a good recipe

#119078 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Try http://www.balanceit.com. It is run by veterinary nutritionists that will work with you and your vet to formulate a recipe for your dogs’ health conditions. They have free recipes for pets without medical conditions.

#119082 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Hi Kathleen, I just posted a recipe on the post Low sodium beef dog food you may can use.

If you go to Dr. Judy Morgan’s web site she has a ton of info about heart murmur’s
    and will even answer questions.

#119083 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

I have e-mailed Dr.Judy Morgan and bought one of her books. Unfortunately, the book only had a couple paragraph’s about the heart in her book. I e-mailed her but did not get anywhere with here. Not sure why. But I will check out her recipes.Thanks

#119084 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

CathyB, Where is the low sodium recipe? I do not see it. Thanks

#119085 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Look to the left at Lori J recent post I put it there

#119086 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

Are you talking about “recent replies”? Sorry but I am new here. I clicked on a lot of them that had your name and said “Low Sodium Beef Dog food”. I see our conversations mainly.

#119087 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Yes, look to the left at recent topics and yes, recent replies you will see Low Sodium Beef Dog food recipes.
    Click on that and you will see I put a recipe there. Gosh, I hope I’m telling you this correctly cause I haven’t been logged on in a while except yesterday and today..and only 2 cups of coffee so far. LOL

#119088 Report Abuse
    Cathy B

Just click on the left low sodium dog food should put you inside that post (topic)

#119165 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

The book from Lew Olson has heart healthy recipes in it, cooked or raw, that focus on taurine and CoQ10, very important for heart health.
    Is your pom on any medications at this time?
    B-naturals dot com.
    Lew was very helpful to us when we had a dog with heart disease.

#119309 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

My 14 yr old Pom with heart murmur is on COQ10. I also get Dr.Harveys online “Veg-to-Bowl ” fine ground.It has all kinds of veggies and super healthy ingredients. I boil chicken mainly as my dog is not big on beef, and then add a scoop of Dr.Harvey’s Veg-to-bowl. It is good. But my dog is getting bored with it every night. She is on enapril, low dose for blood pressure to keep the heart from working too hard. Molly, My dog, will not eat rich foods anymore or should I say picky as she aged. She will not eat joint chews at all, she used to. I have heard of taurine but not enough to use it.

#119310 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

Also which Book were you referring to by Lew Olson? He has a few. Thanks Kathy

#119311 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Boiled eggs are rich in taurine, I often use them as a topper (1/2 egg per meal) 1 egg per day. I just break it up, mix with the kibble and add a splash of water. Big hit! Plus, eggs are not expensive
    PS: Chicken also has a good amount of taurine. I also use boiled chicken meat and homemade chicken broth (no onions, nothing added) too.

The vets mentioned in previous posts are “homeopathic” so if you have a traditional vet, please check with him first. Some supplements can interfere with the absorption and such of prescription meds.

The food sources, such as eggs/chicken are different and should not be a problem as long as your vet agrees that they are appropriate for her diet.

#119312 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

Molly has a slightly high BUN kidney reading, we decreased the blood pressure medication and she will be retested this Monday. But with the kidney issue, too much protein is not good. So I am like, what am I suppose to feed her. So far this Dr.Harvey’s has been great. I just have to find more meat choices, but meat and eggs are protein so I could try an egg and half chicken. It is really hard.

#119313 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Prescription food/therapeutic diet. This is why they were invented and constantly being evaluated by veterinary nutritionists (veterinarians that specialize in nutrition).
    Also, I added to my previous post…don’t know if you saw it.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by anonymous.
    #119315 Report Abuse
    Kathleen Q

I have used prescription food. Definitely healthier for homemade. Too many things found in dog foods, all of them. Even that one called Blue something,Suppose to be #1 dog food. She is doing much better with homemade and I know what is in it. My one year old puppy eats that veggie added meals I make also. Both have nice fur. Homemade is better. So many recalls on good brand dog food. Who knows where it is truly made. Most out of the country.

#119317 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

@Kathleen Q,
    We have the old version of Lew’s book. “Raw and natural nutrition.”
    Despite what others here say, a good diet is not homeopathic nor anything close to it. This poster does not understand what homeopathic medicine is. It has nothing to do with diet.
    If they would take 15 minutes to educate themselves, they’d see that but sadly they won’t.
    Lew has a blog that might be helpful at b naturals dot com. Search “heart healthy”.
    Our guy lived for years past the vets expectations with the help of this person, despite their “homeopathic” (LOL) ways 😉
    This is not a raw friendly site unfortunately. If you’re after help in raw feeding, this is not the site to visit. Sad that the support that existed 5 years ago has disappeared.

#119319 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“I have used prescription food. Definitely healthier for homemade”

I believe the goal at this time is to stabilize your dog that has a cardiac condition and other issues. Not so much about finding the healthiest diet, he may not be able to tolerate anything but a bland prescription food/therapeutic diet.

At age 14 he is a senior, I would be focused on keeping him symptom free and comfortable.

I hope you have a serious talk with the veterinarian that knows your dog and discuss your concerns.
    Lot’s of bogus information on the internet. Don’t be fooled.

#119324 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I checked out that site (Lew Olson) I don’t see the name of any veterinarian or veterinary nutritionist (a veterinarian that specializes in nutrition) affiliated with the site.
    No Thanks!

PS: You could ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary nutritionist that will work with your veterinarian to come up with an alternative to prescription food, if you feel that strongly about it.

#119344 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

So don’t use Lew’s site.
    Some of us do, and have had excellent results.
    Very simple solution for you! Pretty cool, huh?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.