🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

Today, I finally remembered to give my dogs their new chews. I was going to be gone for hours, so I figured they ought to have the big guns. I don’t think they even licked one of them the whole time I was gone, but since I’ve gotten home, they haven’t stopped chewing them and carrying them all over the house. I was afraid I had a bad batch or something, but nope, I don’t think so now. Silly dogs!! They have never delayed chewing on something before, so I don’t know what to make of it. Bones taste better when Mom’s home?

#54076 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

My doberman was like that and my boss’ dog that he had that just passed was like that too. I always thought that was weird too! Maybe they need an audience, lol!

What are Himalayan Dog Chews? I guess I could have googled it, but I’m lazy tonight.

#54077 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I just googled them anyways, lol! Very interesting! Are they real expensive?

#54079 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I think I pay $11 and change for 3 of them. They are about 6″ long and 1″ wide. The dogs have been chewing on them for 4-5 hours now and have barely made a dent in them. They are worth the money to me. I get them in my autoship delivery from Chewy’s. The last ones I had lasted well over a week, and they chewed on those while I was gone, as well as while I was home.

ETA: Nope, I was wrong. They were $22 for 3, but they really did last a long time.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by theBCnut.
    #54107 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Nut! I found that Chewy carries them! I’m gonna order one next time I place an order. Hopefully they’ll still be on sale like they are now.

#54110 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

I’m not a fan of Himalayan Dog Chews. I could see a dog breaking a tooth on them, or swallowing the product whole. I was given a few of them and did offer them to my dogs while I held them to prevent swallowing. The Lab crunched it like a chip! It fractured into multiple pieces! I next tried it with my Crested. Typical of the hairless variety he has many missing teeth yet within seconds he too had cracked it into shards. Into the garbage they went!

#54117 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi BC. Just took a look on Chewy’s. Was just wondering how you felt about the ingredient of salt in the chews? Are your dogs drinking more water because of the salt content? It’s the second ingredient on the list. Thanks much as always.

#54121 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My pugs loved them. I bought them the medium size. Some others have said you can microwave the last inch or two of it for about 10 seconds and it puffs up so they can chew it some more. I actually haven’t done that.

#54133 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I’ve been using the Himalayan Dog Chews since Bruno was a little puppy. They used to last him forever with his puppy teeth, but now his jaw seems to have gotten stronger, teeth stronger, so he can crunch one up (the smallest size – not nuggets, but actual chew stick) in under 45min (and that’s max). But, I still like them, because you can microwave what’s left and feed it as a crunchy treat. I just wouldn’t buy them unless they were on a crazy sale.

#54139 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Aimee, I would never have given my Golden mix one of these because of his chewing style. He could crack a beef knee(and I don’t mean knee cap) in about 15 seconds. He didn’t gnaw, he crunched. My BC’s and my JRT scrape their teeth along the edges and gnaw on bones, but don’t chomp down on them.

Hi Dori, they don’t get enough off of them each day for me to worry at all about salt content, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. They are really hard!

#54143 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yep. Naturrella I agree. $22.00 seems pretty expensive for 3 chews. I guess they’d last awhile for my three little ones but still kind of expensive. Do they ever have sales on them at Chewy.com?

BC. How many days do you think they last your dogs? Your guys are much bigger than mine. $22.00 just seems like so much for just three chews. When they are done with them for the day do you have to refrigerate them or in a baggy or just up somewhere where they can’t reach them?

#54144 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Sandy-that works great! They are like a dog cheetoh. They only last about 10 seconds once that happens 🙂

#54145 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Last night I put them up on top of the dog crates. Within an hour they were completely dry, so I’m not refrigerating them. I gave them to the dogs again today. Angel can’t do more than scratch the surface on one and Gigeon and Micah are chewing theirs at a rate that should have them last at least 2 weeks, possibly 3 or 4. I used to buy pig and cow ears for a buck a piece and they never lasted for even half an hour. They are chewing on these things for hours and hardly making a dent in them. Pizzles don’t last much longer than pig ears either, but cost a lot more.

#54153 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks BC. I’m going to place an order for them. If they are lasting that long for your guys then it’s well worth the money for my three little peanuts. Can’t wait to get them and see how the girls like them.

#54155 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori,

I have gotten them from Best Bully Sticks for about $8-$9 for 3 or 4 small pieces that used to last Bruno a while, now just about 30-45min if that. But you can find them for less than $22.

#54158 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks. I’m going to keep my eye out for sales. $22.00 in my mind would be better spent going to one of the commercial raws I feed. I’ll see if I can find them cheaper. I’m pretty sure they’ll last a while for the girls cause they really have teeny tiny teeth. I would think that my dogs teeth probably look like what Bruno’s baby teeth would have looked like. I’m talking tiny. But I keep thinking about the $22.00 and then there’s shipping tax and shipping. I wonder if they sell them anywhere around us here in Cobb County or even Fulton.

#54163 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Dori. I still have one new in packaging. It is about 5 inches long and 1 inch wide give or a take a bit. If you want it you can have it to use at your own risk.

#54164 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I will check for them in the two pet specialty stores up and down the street from me! But do check out bestbullysticks.com too!

#54192 Report Abuse
    Dori

They’re even more expensive on bestbullysticks.com $29.99.

#54202 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I think you were looking at the XL sozed ones. The ones for your dogs would be the small ones, 4 pieces for $10.

#54203 Report Abuse
    Naturella
    #54205 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ve used Himalayan Chews before. They are very hard and do make me a bit nervous. I’ve had some that I’ve had for a while, but must be hesitating to use them for some reason. And, I’ve also microwaved the last bit. It’s funny, because they puff up huge like a marshmallow in the microwave, but stay fairly soft and chew. Once microwaved, they’re devoured in seconds.

#54498 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’ve been wondering about these. I have been looking for a healthy, safe, edible dog treat for my 10 pound Bichon. I have tried the Smart ‘n Tasty Twizzlies, which she loved but didn’t last very long. I just bought her a duck chew by Etta Says, which she seemed to like but also may not last long. I was a little worried about the Himalayan chews being to hard for her, since she is so small. Would anyone expect that to be an issue? Thanks!

#54502 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Oh yeah, I forgot to add about calories; since she is a small dog, I have only been giving chews to her for very short periods of time and so she does not eat to much.

#54508 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dog_Obsessed, I think you and your Bichon will be fine. My terrier mix has been having those since he was way less than 10lbs and a puppy. Check out my link on top of this page for small cheap Himalayan dog chews. For him they don’t last as long, but for some dogs they do. As with any chew, supervise her while she has it.

#54511 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Cool! Thanks! They also sell “puffs” of them, which is basically the microwaved version. From what I understand these don’t last nearly as long though.

#54515 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You’re welcome! And not at all, they become more like a biscuit (crunchy and usually devoured in as long as your dog will take to eat a biscuit that size).

#54521 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, I had the same experience with Healthy Edibles by Nylabone. I kept thinking they were chew toys, and being confused when they were gone in minutes. This was before I knew enough to actually look at the ingredients.

#54522 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So far, 12 lb Angel and 45 lb Gideon are in a tie. They have each eaten about half of one. Actually, Angel steals everyones chews, so she has probably eaten more.

#54523 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Lol, Angel thinks she’s a big dog!

#54528 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

She’s a Jack Russell, so yes she does!!

#54542 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I love Jack Russells, I think I relate to them in some way. Also, what kind of milk are the chews made out of? Would they cause indigestion in a lactose intolerant dog? I don’t know if my dog is lactose intolerant, but I have heard that many dogs have some form of it.

#54557 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Never mind, I just saw something on the sites faq saying they don’t contain much lactose.

#54581 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

White cheeses and hard cheeses are supposed to be very low in lactose. They are made from yak cheese.

#54583 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, that’s basically what the website said, but I’m glad to get an unbiased opinion. Thanks!

#54663 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

In case anyone (like me!) is wondering about the calorie content for these chews, here’s what I found on Chewy.com:

Small: 3-5 Pieces / 3.5 oz. / 435 Calories / Best for dogs up to 15 lbs.
    Medium: 1 Piece / 2.5 oz. / 310 Calories / Best for dogs up to 35 lbs.
    Large: 1 Piece / 3.5 oz. / 435 Calories / Best for dogs up to 55 lbs.
    Extra Large: 1 Piece / 6.0 oz. / 745 Calories / Best for dogs up to 70 lbs.

I’m pretty sure this is per package. By the way, what’s with 3-5 chews per package for the small ones? If there a 5 in a pack, are they smaller?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #54665 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, the small is per package and the pieces may not be uniform in size. My 12 lb JRT ate 1/2 of a large one in about 4 days. She hasn’t touched another one since though. Gideon hasn’t gotten much further on his and Micah hasn’t shown any interest, but he isn’t feeling well right now.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by theBCnut.
    #54669 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for clarifying. I will get some for Lily once she finishes her Etta Says duck chew. I will probably get the small because of Calorie content and price. I hope Micah feels better soon!

#54675 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Right after I made that last post Micah went over and started chewing on it. LOL!! He is forever making a liar out of me!! He is starting to feel better. I tried a new food with him and I think it was a big no-no. He has food intolerance issues.

#54678 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

LOL, you jinxed it in just the right way!

#54686 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Does anyone know if these chews are safe to give to a dog, recently recovered from a tummy upset? Bruno is 100% right now, but still on Perfect Form for this week and next week, and for now on canned and dry food, same protein, same brand. However, I have midterms and papers this week, so what (if anything) can I give to the poor guy to distract him from me?

Also, do you think he will be fine with having THK (like he used to before he got sick) as a topper after I take him off the canned? I will introduce all his usual additives (coconut oil, yoghurt/kefir, raw egg, canned sardines, RMB) one by one and one per week or until I’m sure his tummy can handle it. But THK is his usual staple – and I rotate between 4 flavors of it and one BDN. Should I just go one at a time and one per week for those too, or would it be safe to rotate again?

#54692 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would actually think that THK would be easier to tolerate than canned, so I wouldn’t think it should be a problem to put him back on it. He shouldn’t have any trouble going back to his rotation, but I would probably do each one for a few days the first time around. I tend to be conservative with tummy issues.

If you watch him with the himalayan chew and he chews it slowly, he shouldn’t get enough off to matter, but if he really goes after it, then he might eat too much of it at once, so watch him when you first give it.

#54695 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was just using the canned to slowly transition him out of his “chicken and brown rice mush” to kibble and to see if he would still eat that food. He is, stool is so far good, can of pumpkin was over today and the can of food should be over tomorrow or Wednesday. So as long as he is good on just kibble and Perfect Form, I will start adding in his usual stuff. Little by little, like you said. I don’t want to overload him cause I don’t want a sick puppy again – not ever, but especially not this midterm week!

And with the chew, I will treat it the same – I will watch him and if he’s demolishing it, I will put it away. When would you say he will be good for bully sticks, ears, RMBs, and the like again? Should I add those last to his diet, when he’s okay with everything else?

#54699 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

As long as the RMB is on the lean meat side, instead of something fatty, it should be ok. When dogs get upset stomachs, it’s usually the fatty items that cause relapse, so make pig ears and other high fat items last. I would let him have a little piece of bully sometime after a lean RMB, I’m not sure how fatty they are, but I don’t think they are as bad as pig ears or chicken skin.

You can do what I call the “Hold” test. Hold it in your hot little hand for a minute. If your hand ends up greasy, then it probably has a bit of fat in it.

#54700 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, gotcha! Will do, thanks so much!!! 🙂

#55034 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I got a pack of 4 small ones today, and I am thrilled with them so far. Their small size made me a little nervous, so I put part of one end in Lily’s kong. I gave it to her for ~15-20 min tonight, and all she ate was a few little flecks. The chew softened as she chewed, and the way she chewed it made me think it would not damage her teeth and might even help clean them. I don’t want her to eat more than about 1/4-1/2 an inch per day, because of calories, but I don’t think she will even eat that much of it, it comes off pretty slowly.

#55036 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The funny thing is that at my house, the 12 lb dog has eaten the whole large chew, but the two 45 lb dogs have only eaten less than half of theirs, and they do chew on it.

#55037 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Anyone use the Yaky Stick? I am planning to order some. It’s a Himalayan cheese wrapped bully stick. It comes in two sizes – 6 inches and twelve inches. My bulldog girl would enjoy them.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #55040 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@BCnut I know I’m breed stereotyping, but I’m not that surprised that Angel ate the whole thing. She is a JRT. 🙂

#55041 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@pugmomsandy I have never tried them, but they seem like a genius idea! Also, the reviews on Chewy say they are good but don’t last too long.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.