🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dog Pack Mom

Is anyone aware of a good quality kibble that has no fish or fish oil?

#84693 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

DPM-
    It looks like this Victor formula does not have either:

http://www.victordogfood.com/all_life.html

#84695 Report Abuse
    Dog Pack Mom

Thank you. I wish there was a reliable tool for searching either including or excluding specific ingredients. I would imagine it would be a daunting task to keep up with the changes in formulas and addition of new foods etc. but a girl can dream 🙂

#84707 Report Abuse
    anonymously
    #84708 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Wysong Vegan, go to Wysong. net to see the ingredients, this site wouldn’t allow me to post the link….happens sometimes.

#84713 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

I went to Wyson Vegan checked the (huge) ingredient list (snore…). No fish oil or fish is listed but it does contain Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils. These generally come from fish.
    Another thing to try is to make your own food. I did this for one of our dogs and i recommend it only if you have a lot of patience. There are many good books on this subject. My favorite was “Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets,” by Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, PhD. At the time I also subscribed to a Yahoo group called Totally Home Cooking. They had many diets available as spreadsheets and you could enter your dog’s weight and age and customize them. I can’t find it now, though. Most of those dog owners pets were afflicted with IBS. If I had not hooked up with Annamaet, which does contain a human grade fish oil, menhaden, I would start looking into home prep again. It will not be kibble, but where does it say dogs must have kibble? Especially if you have special needs.
    On the other hand, if all that bothers you is fish breath you could start brushing your dog’s teeth…Good luck.

#84714 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Dog Pack Mom:
    Out of my dog’s rotation I think there are only two with no fish or fish oil. Rawz chicken recipe and Nutrisource Prairie Select.

rawznaturalpetfood.com/dry-dog-food/chicken-dog-food/

http://www.nutrisourcepetfoods.com/nutrisource/products/grain-free-prairie-select/

#84715 Report Abuse
    Dog Pack Mom

Thanks everyone. I searched today and there are very few. I was acting on the suggestion of Steve Brown’s book that says you should get s “basic kibble” without fish or fish oil bc he thinks it is rancid by the time your dog is eating it. Then you supply your own omega 3’s with sardines. Anywho — does anybody else ever feel completely overwhelmed and at a loss for what food to feed? Ice done raw somedays. I can’t devote the time it takes to do full time home prepared and can’t afford commercial raw. We don’t have good suppliers in the area. No coop etc.

#84719 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Dog Pack Mom-

You may find the website petdiets.com helpful. It is a site made by a ACVN certified veterinary nutritionist. She and other nutritionists will answer questions pet owners have in their “Ask the Nutritionist” section. You can also read their answers to other pet owners questions as well.

#84720 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, Canidae grain free, Pure Land, Pure Sky, Pure Wild, Pure Resolve & Pure Meadow has no fish oils & no fish meals, also “Taste Of The Wild” Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb….

#84726 Report Abuse
    Dog Pack Mom

Thank you, Susan

#84733 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Dog Pack Mom,

I know the Earthborn Great Plains and Meadow Feast have no fish or fish oil, Zignature Turkey, Duck and Lamb formulas, and Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient formulas. I know these don’t since I use them in my rotation.

#93285 Report Abuse
    Nicole C

Signature venison formula is fish free.and grain free.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Nicole C.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.