šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aquariangt

Just curious as to some opinions on dry foods with close to 40% protein analysis. The sheltie is getting fairly active (agility) but the other two are mostly house dogs- not much more than walks, though I have a yard so they can run.

I do like to keep them on the same food, but would the high protein food be unhealthy for the others, or is it not going to cause too much unhealthy weight gain? Also- hip and joint supplements, yay or nay? Vet said she should with her agility stuff, but of course, I rarely pay attention to them re:nutrition

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by aquariangt.
    #34407 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Two of mine are like your house dogs, they’ve had no problem with higher protein foods.

#34417 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

thanks Marie. Any opinion on hip and joint supplements? I’m pretty green in the world of supplementing. I just bought some Fish Oil, and am getting some Probiotics, but don’t know much about the hip and joint ones

#34425 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use human joint supplement from SwansonVitamins.com. It’s called joint mobility plus. It has all kinds of stuff that is important for joints. Salmon oil is also good. I assume you’re feeding grainfree; am I correct?

#34428 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

At the moment, no. Wheat, Soy, Corn free, yes, but I’ve got some oatmeal in Dani’s (the sheltie) food, and Brown Rice in the other two. When I swap foods again to get them all on the same, I most likely will. Is there a specific benefit for the joints from being grain free, or do you just mean the all around health?

#34479 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

If your working the dogs or they play enough to use all that protein then I would say OK. If your kids don’t use that protein then over time it may damage some organs, so be careful.

#34492 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Protein does not damage organs.

#34995 Report Abuse
    hpmiro

I would say it’s ok to feed all 3 dogs the same food, but if some are less active then others than its probably a good idea to keep an eye on them and see if there’s any issues with weight. If so then cut back on the feeding amount. Slow feeders would be a great way to individually feed your dogs and slowing down the feeding has proven to be beneficial anyways

I think supplementing your dogs and any dog isn’t a bad idea. Just like us, our pets could only benefit from an added supplement. There’s lots of great options out there as far as supplementing goes, I would visit a local pet shop or boutique as they tend to know a bit more about their products and I find them very helpful! Organic Pet Superfood by bixbi has a pretty awesome line.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.