🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CJohnson
    Participant

Ok I have a dilema. I have two Italian Greyhounds that have been on Merrick dog food all their lives (one is 7 and one is 8) . They are now losing weight (one has lost 3#s and the other 2#s). For these little guys just a small weight change like that is drastic because they are all muscle; basically 3 pounds on them is equal to 30 pounds on a larger dog. No change in formula. The one they get has 400 calories per cup. I’ve been trying to find something that is higher in calories for them to help them pack on the weight a little better without having to feed them a lot. I have found Solid Gold High Protein, Low Carb, Grain and Gluten Free has 465 calories per cup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a higher calorie, high quality food? I will NOT feed any food less than 5 stars so please do not suggest them. Only the best for my babies!!

Thanks!!

#27712 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Nature’s Variety Instinct is much higher calorie, and has small kibble.

#27715 Report Abuse
    CJohnson
    Participant

Thanks – I took a look at the Raw Frozen menus. Those are much higher at 520 calories a cup! Now to hunt to see how much and where I can get it. Right now I get my food delivered thru Pet Flow.

#27716 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The rabbit kibble was slightly higher than that.

#27723 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Abady granular food has nearly 800 calories per cup, about 100 calories in 2 tablespoons and would seem to be easy to add in with their current food. You can also add calories by adding oils like fish oil, coconut oil, etc. I think Timberwolf Platinum also has over 500 calories per cup. It used to say on their website but not currently. Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance has almost 600 calories per cup.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #27755 Report Abuse
    CJohnson
    Participant

Abady has had a serious recall not so long ago, as well with the fact that there isn’t a review on them here so I’m going to pass on that.

My dogs all get a fish oil sup added to their food. I have 4 dogs. Just the little ones are having the issues.

The nearest Timberwolf retailer is over 250 miles away and my pet food delivery service doesn’t distribute it.

Grandma Lucy’s isn’t high enough in calories in one serving.

These dogs have tiny tiny stomachs. Putting a ton of food in them to up their caloric intake will just make them sick.

Some guy on the FB page suggested I feed them hot dogs because that’s what he feeds his pit bull and then went on a rant on well behaved his pit bull. I told him he was crazy for feeding his dog hot dogs. HOt dogs aren’t even really made for human consumption. lol

#27756 Report Abuse
    DogManDan
    Participant

i believe in patty 🙂 i’ve been seeing good feedbacks on nature variety for high calorie contents 🙂 seems to me it is a proven 5 star brand

#27759 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

CJohnson: you can easily order any food, such as Timberwolf, online. Some good places to order dog food is Chewy.com, wag.com, Petflow.com

#27765 Report Abuse
    CJohnson
    Participant

I already order food from Petflow.com. Unfortunately, if I go with Instinct Raw frozen food, Petflow does not carry that. My husband just has to bring it home from the town he works in. Not a big deal.

#27784 Report Abuse

My two rescue Iggys are very high energy and had the same issues. I find either a higher carb food does the trick, OR adding a tablespoon or two of the Abady. And, small or not(both 10lbs or less) they can easily pack in a cup of food without any stomach issues, lol. They are eating machines.

#27799 Report Abuse
    CJohnson
    Participant

What do you currently feed your dogs? I had hubby pick up some Nature’s Variety freeze dried + kibble mix. 495 calories for a cup which is much higher than what they were on. These guys wolf their food down and will throw up if they eat large amounts of food – more than 3/4 cup.

I have two – the one has the weight issues and the other one has developed incontinence issues to the point that he has to wear diapers. Poor guys.

#27842 Report Abuse

I rotate through most 4-5 star foods for the dry. Currently they are eating NV limitd ingredient Duck-simply due to the lower fat content that my schnauzers can eat. I also now give everyone 50 percent of their diet in homemade raw. We also rotate 5 star canned foods and dehydrated Grandma Lucy’s(almost 600 cals per cup!)

My boys WILL loose weight on all grain free, no matter how high the calories for some reason. I account for that with the Abady, and by adding higher carbs to their portion of the raw diet. This seems to work wonders. I add things like sweet potato their bowls every other day when they are not getting the Abady.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.